Ferrets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Speicher said:
I have only got a shower in my small bathroom (and a basin and a loo, before you ask) but there is still plenty of room for a hipppoppottamus. :blush:;)

only one???

i've been to the local rescue centre today to have a look. i can't have one yet but i couldn't resist, and now i want one more than ever. he let me hold a ferret called fred and he was really cute. he wasn't neutered so i got full strength smell which hasn't worn off my hands yet, but can't say i'm that bothered by it. they have cute feet and cute ears :smile:

but anyway, back to my original question.... is it going to eat my settee?

col

Legendary Member
buggi said:
only one???

i've been to the local rescue centre today to have a look. i can't have one yet but i couldn't resist, and now i want one more than ever. he let me hold a ferret called fred and he was really cute. he wasn't neutered so i got full strength smell which hasn't worn off my hands yet, but can't say i'm that bothered by it. they have cute feet and cute ears :blush:

but anyway, back to my original question.... is it going to eat my settee?

I dont think it will,but then i wouldnt leave it on its own anyway,so unlikely.

buggi said:
i know, she's all wobbly on her legs bless. she needs walking sticks, but she's still in reasonable health other than i've had to move her house "downstairs" in her cage because she can't manage climbing anymore. she doesn't seem to be in pain so i think she may just go in her sleep, fingers crossed.
Ah. I used to have ratties, as did my friend Jane. The wobbly back leg thing is quite common. In fact several of mine ended up with paralysis of the back legs towards the end of their lives, it's a degenerative nerve condition that alsatians also suffer from apparently. However they were still active and quite happy, although you need to make certain adaptations to allow for their lack of mobility. It's only the legs that are affected, so pooing is ok but you may have to help Ms Ratty groom herself (either hold her in such a way that she is bent over enough to groom herself or use a toothbrush and don't forget to do inside the ears). This stage of their life seems to last a good few months and they do tend to go peacefully in their sleep. They only need to be put down if there is a secondary problem, such as cancer. I hope yours last a bit longer yet.

Ferts? Never had them myself but I know someone who did, and they did smell awful (the ferts, not my friend) sort of like rotting honey. They ended up being re-homed.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
aw, thanks Chuffy, i hope she does go in her sleep, i don't want the dreaded trip to the vet.

found this on youtube. how cute.

I used to have a house-ferret, they make ace pets, he had a whole room to himself (and his ferret friend) while I was out...I never minded the smell, but a lot of people claimed they stank...and admittedly, no matter how clean you keep them, the smell does get absorbed into furnishings, etc... And they love destroying carpets and pot plants :biggrin:

Used to take them out on a harness in the park, they loved it...

Had to rehome mine for personal reasons after 5 years, still miss the little bugger like hell, but he now works as a PR ferret for a rescue and goes to shows all round the country, plus he has lots of new ferret friends, he loves it!

Have you looked on Friendly Ferret? Lots of good advice on there...

http://groups.msn.com/FriendlyFerretUK

SamNichols

I was in the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hiker's Bar near Great Langdale fairly recently, and there was a youngish hippy guy walking around carrying a box. I said to the girls next to us:
"What's that guy got in the box?"
"Oh, it's his ferret: he had it out earlier."

I ignored the strange innuendo side of it, and just dwelt on the fact that some people are fairly eccentric. Going to the pub with a ferret in a box is an affectation too far, in my opinion.
Still, get a ferret: they're awesome.

Arch

Married to Night Train
punkypossum said:
I used to have a house-ferret, they make ace pets, he had a whole room to himself (and his ferret friend) while I was out...I never minded the smell, but a lot of people claimed they stank...and admittedly, no matter how clean you keep them, the smell does get absorbed into furnishings, etc... And they love destroying carpets and pot plants :biggrin:

Used to take them out on a harness in the park, they loved it...

Had to rehome mine for personal reasons after 5 years, still miss the little bugger like hell, but he now works as a PR ferret for a rescue and goes to shows all round the country, plus he has lots of new ferret friends, he loves it!

Have you looked on Friendly Ferret? Lots of good advice on there...

http://groups.msn.com/FriendlyFerretUK

Well, you have a sort of ferret now. And I haven't forgotton the emu.

Sometimes in my lonelier moments, I fancy getting a rat. In a rented flat, so a dog or cat or anything needing the outdoors is out, but might just manage with a rat...

I was bitten on the lip by one when I was 8yrs old!
It REALLY HURT! If I had not put my chin down when I did it would have had my throat.... I can't even look at a picture of one now without going cold...
However, I have a mate who had one for 13years and felt he was a great family pet.... mad, crazy women she is!

jashburnham

They are viscous little buggers. I can remember the ferret man coming to the old mans farm to "trim" the rabbit population on occasion.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Arch said:
Well, you have a sort of ferret now. And I haven't forgotton the emu.

Sometimes in my lonelier moments, I fancy getting a rat. In a rented flat, so a dog or cat or anything needing the outdoors is out, but might just manage with a rat...

Arch get two at least. i've had 10 rats now and they are great pets if you haven't got much room. the girls are smaller, smoother haired and more adventurous, they like to roam around. the boys are bigger, a bit rougher hair, but make great shoulder/lap buddies... they are a bit more docile so great for watching the tv with.

they need a cage that's at least 3 x 2 x 3 tho, because they like to climb.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've got another question. what is their poo like? is it squidgy or more like droppings that are easy to clean up?

Top Bottom