Ferry - Harwich to Hoek van Holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
Anyone got any experience? Recommend the overnight one or not?

Should be jumping on either Wednesday morning or evening, then heading for eastern Europe and beyond.

Daytime crossing was fine. Booked a cabin for the daytime to put panniers and stuff in. Cheap and very useful.
Left it too late for the night crossing.. it got booked rather quickly due to the TdF.
Ferry was late leaving but arrived on time.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Overnight was brilliant. Lovely comfortable cabin. Happy with where they let me lock my bike down below. First on and first off the ferry too. Nice clean ship with plenty to do on board. Best of all, you wake up in lovely Holland on the way out. All good!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Anyone got any experience? Recommend the overnight one or not?

Should be jumping on either Wednesday morning or evening, then heading for eastern Europe and beyond.
I used the evening sailing when I rode to Copenhagen last summer and for me it was the right choice. It meant I was was fresh on arrival and ready for a full day of riding. I wouldn't go for their over-priced breakfast again, would have been better stopping somewhere en route.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been on the overnight Stena ferry several times and it's great fun. The cabins are very comfortable, with a shower and a loo, and the Dutch staff are delightful. The food is good too. It's worth taking a couple of 400mm lengths of nylon cord to tie your bars to the slightly strange bike racks.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Overnight, Just enough time in the morning for a good Breakfast, Sets you up for the day.

db7db7

Overnight last year for my mini Euro tour. Cabin, showers, bed, electric all worth the cost. I thino you have to book a cabin on the overnight crossing. One tip: take a snack for any food or breakfast you need - the facilities were rammed so i did this and got off to bed early and (suprisingly) there wasn't a cafe or similar open near tue Dutch port so i had to wait until Rotterdam before a substantial feed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Overnight last year for my mini Euro tour. Cabin, showers, bed, electric all worth the cost. I thino you have to book a cabin on the overnight crossing. One tip: take a snack for any food or breakfast you need - the facilities were rammed so i did this and got off to bed early and (suprisingly) there wasn't a cafe or similar open near tue Dutch port so i had to wait until Rotterdam before a substantial feed.
There's a café on Pastoor Onderwaterstraat, very close to Hoek van Holland Haven train station, only a few yards from the ferry terminal exit/entrance. It's always been open early when I've passed by.

Another vote for the night ferry.
Unless you've cycled for a few days to the port and need a rest day, I don't see any point in taking a day doing nothing.
You're only looking at an extra £32 for the cheapest overnight cabin, which is not bad for a bed

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think it's nice to relax and have a beer, get a good nights sleep and breakfast. It's a good way to start a holiday. Especially if your trip involves wild camping.

doog

Do they still play "Don't worry, be happy" at an unnecessarily early hour and unnecessarily loud volume to make sure you get up in time to buy breakfast?

The early morning breakfast call was a right royal pain in the arse. We were all late on (10pm) after queuing on the ramp for ages in the cold. Take off the hour time difference, that daft early call and the overnight sailing was a bit of a squeeze time wise after a quick beer / snack upstairs...

Having camped for 3 days earlier I was thankful for a decent bed so cant complain but I understand loading times can be quite a bit earlier..1930hrs or thereabouts would have been ideal.

Top Bottom