Ferry - Harwich to Hoek van Holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Its been mentioned before but take spare bungee cords. The cycle provision was designed for Dutch bikes that don't normally feature low dropped handlebars so the 'fit' into the slots can be a bit awkward with the front of your bike pointing precariously at the ceiling.
Good advice. I also had to remove my lights and GPS mount to get a reasonably secure fit.

Did you also lock the bike to the rack?
Definitely yes. There will be lots of vans and lorries on board and it wouldn't take much effort for an opportunist to put your bike in the back of one. I was carrying a long cable lock anyway.

If you find it hard to get up early, go to bed earlier.
I didn't see any notices about being woken up by obscenely loud annoying music an hour before a reasonable person would set an alarm. If I had, I might have gone to bed earlier. We went to bed at a sensible time for getting up according to the schedule disembarkation time.

The breakfast offerings were unappealing and over priced, and as we were catching the train to Amsterdam (this wasn't a cycling holiday) decided to forgo them for a better breakfast in the city.

It was clear to me the wake up call was to sell breakfast. I doubt many people would have planned to be out of their cabins in time to eat, if they had been left to their own devices.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's also worth noting that both ships ships on the route don't have that system. It's the newest one that does (can't remember which it is). On the other one you fasten your bikes to a railing area at the bow end of the upstairs car deck (and you have to cycle up that awful ramp.
The ramp has steel corrugations that make it extemely hard to make any forward progress, rather like riding through treacle. I've never managed to make it to the top without walking.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Overnight crossing is great bar the extremely loud (and unnecessarily early) PA announcements trying to sell you breakfast.

Cabins:

nsr-day1-02.jpg

londontoamsterdam-028.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think every overnight ferry I've ever been on has piped music into the cabins an hour before docking. They presumably assume that everyone is going to be hungover and need shocking out of bed.

e-rider

crappy member
It's also worth noting that both ships ships on the route don't have that system. It's the newest one that does (can't remember which it is). On the other one you fasten your bikes to a railing area at the bow end of the upstairs car deck (and you have to cycle up that awful ramp.
that's not true, both ships have both systems - depends what you get directed to by the staff

e-rider

crappy member
I didn't see any notices about being woken up by obscenely loud annoying music an hour before a reasonable person would set an alarm. If I had, I might have gone to bed earlier. We went to bed at a sensible time for getting up according to the schedule disembarkation time.

The breakfast offerings were unappealing and over priced, and as we were catching the train to Amsterdam (this wasn't a cycling holiday) decided to forgo them for a better breakfast in the city.

It was clear to me the wake up call was to sell breakfast. I doubt many people would have planned to be out of their cabins in time to eat, if they had been left to their own devices.
I had breakfast included in my deal, and it was nice enough. i did notice that it was quite expensive though, although what would you expect - £3.99 IKEA price???

doog

Didnt see any fancy racks, in truth the staff couldnt cope with amount of cyclists so best avoid a Friday night as it was a free for all.

I think weve clarified the breakfast call is very intrusive and serves one purpose.....to sell food.

Earplugs wont work either..

andym

Über Member
No doubt the people who've used this service before know this, but looking at their site there's a £4 option that gives you a flexible ticket:

• Pay no amendment fees for changing your booking
  • Full refund* up to 24 hours before day of departure
  • 50% refund* up to 2 hours before departure
  • Amend your booking easily online

Which is attractive if, like me, you are setting off with only a rough idea of when you are coming back.

snorri

Legendary Member
You don't happen to have a photo of he do you?
Going that way in July and it would be good to see what we need to do.
You don't need to use these silly racks, there are also rails at various points on the vehicle decks which provide secure fixing points without having to "squeeze" your bike in between others onthe racks, an important point for touring bikes laden with panniers. I prefer short lengths (2metre) of light line rather than bungees to secure the bike.
Top tip, Do take a slip of paper off the pad as you leave the vehicle deck and enter the lift/stairwell. This provides you with a reminder of where your bike is stowed,--deck number and access door--, for when you want to find your bike in the morning.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4197775, member: 45"]Will you all please stop it?? You've got me and my bike trying to come up with a cheap and easy way to get from the South West over to Harwich.[/QUOTE]
Assuming you are travelling via London, I would suggest you take a train from there out beyond the urban sprawl that is London. If taking the train to Harwich, make sure you are on a direct train otherwise you may have to change at Manningtree which involves change of platform and carrying bike down and up one flight of stairs. Or, you could cycle from Manningtree to Harwich, a pleasant cycle run with eateries along the way.

Top Bottom