Ferry travel to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is not really relevant but I did a great crossing with a couple of friends once. We knew someone with a camper van who was making the crossing, so we went as their passengers. We just about squeezed ourselves and our bikes into their van, very uncomfortably but it was only for boarding and disembarkation.

So the moral of the story is - find someone with a camper van who is crossing when you want to.^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Given this week's shenanigans, I was amused at the Cycling UK newsletter which came out yesterday! I'm gathering notes on my booking fiasco and will write to them (in a helpful way, not a snotty way obvs).

Taking your bike on a ferry​

When it comes to travelling with your bike, there are few methods more convenient than going by ferry. In most cases, it's simply a case of rolling into the port, walking on board pushing your wheels and then heading to the passenger deck. It's that simple. In this simple guide, Cycling UK's Sam Jones provides some tips on what to expect and where you can travel with your bike.

View attachment 638187

It is a bit like those reviews where you think “ you’ve never actually used the product / service have you?”

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This is not really relevant but I did a great crossing with a couple of friends once. We knew someone with a camper van who was making the crossing, so we went as their passengers. We just about squeezed ourselves and our bikes into their van, very uncomfortably but it was only for boarding and disembarkation.

So the moral of the story is - find someone with a camper van who is crossing when you want to.^_^

We did discuss that actually - driving over and leaving the car. It was easier to book!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Not sure if anyone is still interested but my ferry drama finally resolved this morning! Yesterday, having still not have email confirmation of my booking, I ended up tweeting DFDS (which I really didn’t want to do). Someone got onto it immediately (at 10pm), found my reservation details and finally emailed through confirmation! I’m really grateful to them but annoyed it took so much work to get an email.

I am going to write to DFDS and to Cycling UK about my experiences in a constructive manner so hopefully this can be fixed!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Good you got the email but totally unacceptable that the company clearly don't have any form of customer service very low on their agenda.

Last edited:
I ended up tweeting DFDS
Unfortunately, this seems to be the way that a lot of companies are going.
The more traditional methods of communication seem to be ignored in favour of more instantaneous methods.
It helps that such communication is very visible, though.

Well done on getting it sorted and I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that you can influence a fix.

Not sure if anyone is still interested but my ferry drama finally resolved this morning! Yesterday, having still not have email confirmation of my booking, I ended up tweeting DFDS (which I really didn’t want to do). Someone got onto it immediately (at 10pm), found my reservation details and finally emailed through confirmation! I’m really grateful to them but annoyed it took so much work to get an email.

I am going to write to DFDS and to Cycling UK about my experiences in a constructive manner so hopefully this can be fixed!
This exact problem has just been discussed on the CUK forum (different DFDS route): solutions were twitter, or:
"Use their 0344 848 6090 a regular landline."

In their case the twitter person was actually no use! Presumably they work shifts?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This exact problem has just been discussed on the CUK forum (different DFDS route): solutions were twitter, or:
"Use their 0344 848 6090 a regular landline."

In their case the twitter person was actually no use! Presumably they work shifts?

That's useful to know. And yes, I had two twitter people. One was useless, one was very good.

Top Bottom