Ferry travel to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I guess the latter is pretty useless without the former - to cyclists, anyway. Needs to be the same boats though ...
Oops!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Update. Still no email so I phoned again on their 14p/minute phone line. On the phone for 20 mins. On hold for at least 10.

I get put through to France because UK is all busy. Lovely lady. Apparently, I'm NOT a group booking (I'm less than 10 people) so she puts me thrugh to another lovely French lady. She does find my reservation (I have the number written down now) and confirms it. Says she'll put my reservation through to customer services. I ask if I should hold? Oh no..they'll contact me. By email? By phone? By email.

4pm. Still no email. That's a least £4 in phone charges so far. Once this is resolved, I'll be emailing DFDS.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Shall I talk flights too?

All I want is: 3 adults (son is 12) with bikes. One way. Geneva to Heathrow. I go with Swiss because they're cheap and much better than Easyjet when I've flown with them before. Their website talks about booking bikes on - needs to be in a box, you can get boxes with Swiss at Geneva airport. Brilliant.

Cannot book the bikes on. Can't find any way to add them to our luggage. Use the BOT chat thing and it tells me eventually that I need to add my bikes to my booking afterwards. It's a bit of a gamble. So I try three different helplines from their websites. No-one picks up and I'm waiting for a long time.

So I book the flights. All good. Then i fill in the Bike Booking Request form and wait. Nothing.

So I tweet Swiss. Within an hour or so, a person has replied asking me to DM her details. I do so. She can add the bikes..yay! Just as well as they only carry THREE BIKES PER PLANE. What happened if we had another child?? She has provisionally added bikes to our reservation because....she also needs: height, length, width and weight of all the bikes! Cue much tape-measure/bathroom scales action! I've sent her all the details and am awaiting her confirmation. This is grim.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

I agree but it will be my first flight for three years so I don't feel too dreadful.
Not a fan of flights with a bike, but oddly never had a problem booking flights with a bike , admittedly last time I flew with a bike must have been 20 + years ago ,before t'interweb booking thing became a thing.
But still, clicking through a website should not present difficulty, and yet it does, .....WHY !

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Not a fan of flights with a bike, but oddly never had a problem booking flights with a bike , admittedly last time I flew with a bike must have been 20 + years ago ,before t'interweb booking thing became a thing.
But still, clicking through a website should not present difficulty, and yet it does, .....WHY !

I haven't flown with a bike for maybe 14 years and I don't remember this much trouble either. So weird.

shnjmsn

Über Member
Leave the cycle way and exit through the left gate, turning left at the first roundabout, right at the next, then take a short (50m) gravel ramp right down onto back lanes to Loon Plage, but even if you miss that ramp, you end up at Mardyck instead of the autoroute feeder roundabout.

It would be simpler if the port finished the damn cycle way so it connected to, well, anything, but they told me in 2019 that they won't in the foreseeable.
Exactly this, we've had years of experience now........ We mostly head along the back road to Mardyck nowadays and stop for a beer in the village......! Getting off the ferry is a bit hit and miss, some years we've been first off, other years last off....... Think it's just how they feel on the day ! But if you get off first you do get the head start out through the port....... Roll on 19th June where we'll be heading back over to Bruges for the first time in 3 years !

Reactions: mjr

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My first flight with a bike for 13 years tomorrow . Very easy booking it with Ryanair (the only option for my start and end point). Let's hope it all goes smoothly. I'd rather be on a ferry. Seems much less stressful, if you can get booked!
It’s definitely easier on the day! I’m excited for you though!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Given this week's shenanigans, I was amused at the Cycling UK newsletter which came out yesterday! I'm gathering notes on my booking fiasco and will write to them (in a helpful way, not a snotty way obvs).

Taking your bike on a ferry​

When it comes to travelling with your bike, there are few methods more convenient than going by ferry. In most cases, it's simply a case of rolling into the port, walking on board pushing your wheels and then heading to the passenger deck. It's that simple. In this simple guide, Cycling UK's Sam Jones provides some tips on what to expect and where you can travel with your bike.

ctc-fom-blue.jpg

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Go on , stick your spoke in the wheels, if it's lazy journalism, it deserves to be shown up.
The problems are'nt physically getting on board, the problem is getting reliable info on your booking.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Given this week's shenanigans, I was amused at the Cycling UK newsletter which came out yesterday! I'm gathering notes on my booking fiasco and will write to them (in a helpful way, not a snotty way obvs).

Taking your bike on a ferry​

When it comes to travelling with your bike, there are few methods more convenient than going by ferry. In most cases, it's simply a case of rolling into the port, walking on board pushing your wheels and then heading to the passenger deck. It's that simple. In this simple guide, Cycling UK's Sam Jones provides some tips on what to expect and where you can travel with your bike.

View attachment 638187
I thought exactly the same thing as you when I saw that yesterday. Someone needs to do a bit more research on the subject at Cycling UK methinks.

Top Bottom