Fettlin' days...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
January's always a slow month for me (s/e building trade) so got a couple of fettling days ...tidying the man cave & seeing to the Beezer ...numb fingers & the smell of wd40 followed by a quick ride round the park. Hope everyone has a good day at work! Lol
IMG_20160128_131918.jpg
IMG_20160128_130954.jpg
IMG_20160128_130012.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm quite jealous of the time to fettle and ride, but it's cold outside so I'm quite enjoying having enough web and library catalogue work on at the moment!

I keep looking at mine but then just walk on by!
I did get the Mercian out for a wipe down/pump up (there was mould growing on the brake covers!) and a couple rides last week when that bright thing appeared in the sky - must've been all of 10 miles over 2 days and it nearly killed me it's been so long

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I keep meaning to have a good fettle at the Ridgeback, TBH it needed it 2yrs back when I broke my femur (and that was the plan) but I've not ridden it since or/and for that matter I've not been on many of the other 2 wheelers either (I've been out on the Saracen MTB a couple of times and likewise the Raleigh Equipe, finished off the Raleigh 3 speed and ridden that a bit - longest rebuild I've ever undertaken due to the injury)
The Ridgeback though needs a full strip and regrease, the head bearings are thrupenny bitting and the crank needs a couple of bearing races (old school square taper) and new cables, chain and a rear tyre should see it right though. Hope to have it 'tip-top' before spring though.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
@mikeymustard ...its grim oop north mate...gonna get some gloves (I'm a bit nesh as we say up ere) see if i can do 3 miles tomorrow :$

@raleighnut ...I think breaking your femur..! gives you a good excuse, though it sounds like you've been busy that 'fettle list' never gets any smaller though does it? If you're anything like me soon as you get close to finishing one, you go buy another heap ...

@mikeymustard ...its grim oop north mate...gonna get some gloves (I'm a bit nesh as we say up ere) see if i can do 3 miles tomorrow :$
When that wind whips down off the moors even the hardiest of us would need gloves!

Broken femur is a pretty good excuse! You a Stoke City fan @Daddybus? We were coming home from the semi final last night, got stuck in the middle of all the Stoke lads, my little fella (8) got a bit worried, the even smaller fella (4) started singing " tell me MA me MA I don't want no tea no tea, I'm goin to Wembley " Had a good laugh. Thankfully nobody kicked off!

raleighnut

Legendary Member

@raleighnut ...I think breaking your femur..! gives you a good excuse, though it sounds like you've been busy that 'fettle list' never gets any smaller though does it? If you're anything like me soon as you get close to finishing one, you go buy another heap ...
I did also manage to buy one of these
33726.jpg

Assemble it myself (Delivery was £50 assembled or £10 boxed so a bit of a no-brainer)
Then converted it into this

Which has been my transportation for the past 18 months.

Modifications are 26" electric front wheel kit (original was 24" but if I'd fitted one that size I couldn't use it on a normal bike once I'd finished with the trike) so the forks were changed to suit. North Road handlebars (aluminium) fitted to replace the steel 'apehangers' and a 400mm seatpost fitted with a B17special to replace the sprung foot-wide 'armchair' size seat (that weighs about 5 pounds) 1 brake lever swapped from the 'handbrake' button type to an electric 'cut off' type.
I'd already left off the (heavy) steel mudguards and the basket so a couple of handmade brackets allowed me to fit the rack which houses the battery pack and fitted a 'throwover' type pannier set.
All the standard components have been saved so if I choose to sell it (once I don't need it anymore) it can be returned to factory spec and the electric kit fitted to a normal 26" wheel MTB (for trailer pulling duties)

This all came about when my physiotherapist got me on an exercise bike and said "It's a shame you haven't got one at home) so I thought about that, then about getting a 'turbo trainer' and bolting one of my bikes onto that then suddenly thought "If I get a trike I can go places on it" (neither Maz or myself drive) I'd looked at 'prebuilt' electric trikes but they were in the region of £1600-£1800, I managed to build this for just under a grand.

EDIT - The curly 'telephone' type wire wrapped around the frame is from the Electron lamp set to its battery pack and isn't part of the conversion, the wires for the wheel are almost invisible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom