FFS who would do this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'd take issue with it being reported. There will be copycats, sadly.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think it's more likely that the swan was poking its beak in a discarded sock. It's a fairly skilled job to hold a swan in such a manner that the wings are disabled whilst holding the head held firmly enough to pull a sock over it.
It's not unusual for birds to put their heads in to the plastic rings used to sell 6 beer cans, and it is difficult to free the bird from them. I usually pick up these rings when beach combing in the hope of saving a bird.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I think it's more likely that the swan was poking its beak in a discarded sock. It's a fairly skilled job to hold a swan in such a manner that the wings are disabled whilst holding the head held firmly enough to pull a sock over it.
It's not unusual for birds to put their heads in to the plastic rings used to sell 6 beer cans, and it is difficult to free the bird from them. I usually pick up these rings when beach combing in the hope of saving a bird.
How did the swan pull the tight-fitting sock on its head?

Chris S

Legendary Member
There should be plenty of DNA evidence on the sock.

Drago

Legendary Member
Im not convinced. They are a powerful bird and you're not going to sneak up on it...
Ive done it (in the line of work). All the business about breaking arms etc is guff - they've roughly the same mass as a fair sized dog, and similar strength, with a relatively light and hollow skeletal structure. Theyre3 not up to breaking limbs as the urban myth would suggest.

I walked up to it, albeit slowly so as not to spook it, and picked it up. It was quite passive. I then bravely carried it off the dual carriageway like the hero I am.

I'm no expert stalker and didn't have any great difficulty approaching it or picking it up.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Ive done it (in the line of work). All the business about breaking arms etc is guff - they've roughly the same mass as a fair sized dog, and similar strength, with a relatively light and hollow skeletal structure.

I walked up to it, albeit slowly so as not to spook it, and picked it up. It was quite passive. I then bravely carried it off the dual carriageway like the hero I am.

I'm no expert stalker and didn't have any great difficulty approaching it or picking it up.
Aye, im only glad i didn't mention that they did break arms :whistle:

I've never tried sneaking up on them, i reserve those antics for midgets.

All im suggesting is that in nesting season, i highly doubt anybody is sneaking up on a swan for any reason...

Top Bottom