FFS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Not my bike that was stolen but......as noted above - my insurance company specifically insures my bike providing it is locked - no specific lock requirement - so in these circumstances I would expect them to pay up because that is what they have undertaken to do. On the audax at the weekend I didn't want to lug a gold standard lock around but did want my bike insured while I went into the co-op to get a receipt as proof of passage; low risk and probably even with a crap cable lock lower risk for a few minutes in a small market town than with a gold lock in a busy city centre for a couple of hours. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with expecting the insurance to pay up. In my my opionion not stupid either.
Quite.

wisdom

Guru
Sorry to hear of this.
On another note I've often wondered.
As a thought my bikes all have cleated pedals.Would that make them harder to ride off on.I know for a fact I couldn't get any turn of speed in normal shoes.
Irrelevant to the post I know.Just something I have wondered about.

Back to the post I personallu don't think folk should have a dig about the lock really.The fact is someone has stolen someone else's property yes it might have not been ideal but the problem is a thief.
I see lots of bikes with poor locks but don't pinch them.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Sorry to hear of this.
On another note I've often wondered.
As a thought my bikes all have cleated pedals.Would that make them harder to ride off on.I know for a fact I couldn't get any turn of speed in normal shoes.
Irrelevant to the post I know.Just something I have wondered about.

Back to the post I personallu don't think folk should have a dig about the lock really.The fact is someone has stolen someone else's property yes it might have not been ideal but the problem is a thief.
I see lots of bikes with poor locks but don't pinch them.
For the ( I don’t know how manyenth time ) There was nothing wrong with the lock. It wouldn’t have mattered which lock I had, these idiots had tools on them. If you think a ‘gold standard lock’ will help against a determined thief, you’ll be in for a massive shock. The tools to defeat even the best locks are easily available on line, for only a few quid. The pedals weren’t a deterrent either as I believe they used a car to take the bike away ( possibly because of the pedals, I don’t know) This bears all the hallmarks of a planned and targeted theft. I’d be wary of publishing any details of a ride you’re doing on any online resource, and the only way you’ll stop your bike getting nicked, is to not let it out of your sight.

wisdom

Guru
For the ( I don’t know how manyenth time ) There was nothing wrong with the lock. It wouldn’t have mattered which lock I had, these idiots had tools on them. If you think a ‘gold standard lock’ will help against a determined thief, you’ll be in for a massive shock. The tools to defeat even the best locks are easily available on line, for only a few quid. The pedals weren’t a deterrent either as I believe they used a car to take the bike away ( possibly because of the pedals, I don’t know) This bears all the hallmarks of a planned and targeted theft. I’d be wary of publishing any details of a ride you’re doing on any online resource, and the only way you’ll stop your bike getting nicked, is to not let it out of your sight.
I was saying for folk to stop having a go about the lock.you may have misinterpreted my reply.Its the thief that's the problem.

lane

Veteran
You could keep a good eye on ebay and gumtree bikes often turn up sometime later when the seller assumes you have stopped looking. Only if you want the bike back though.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the USA, I'm surprised one of the thieves didn't pop a cap in their collective asses. The tether is genius though.

Top Bottom