FFS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
If the scumbag saw you chase him there's every chance he's decided to move it on by now :sad:

That said, I hope he's stupid enough to think he's safe and that next time you see him he's not so lucky!
I’m keeping my eyes peeled. If he’s daft enough to keep the gearing the way it is, he’s got no chance if I catch him out and about.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
That'll learn me for using cable locks.
Yeah:rolleyes:. With things like these easily available on line, even an expensive lock won’t help if it’s a targeted theft, as this appears to be, as the bolt croppers are a particularly nasty fold up Canadian type that can be concealed in a back pack, and will quite easily go through the bike hoop that the bike is attached to, and the other things are circular lock picks, that can go through even the most expensive lock like a hot knife through butter. But if you want to believe a heavy expensive lock will save your bike against a determined thief, carry on. Make sure you post in here when you get relieved of your bike, I’ll have lots of sympathy for you.

49653671-1FC5-403E-9FBF-B8D23D3ACA70.jpeg

1CC314F9-A05C-4992-9E39-0FEED77F49DA.jpeg

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Still it was the 80's...Had they invented U locks,then?:blush:

This is a training video for all us U Lock dummies....Who said cable lock? arghhhhh.

The comments section is particularly useful and another tip...Don't lock your £1m bike down a dark alley.(oooer)

The Kryptonite u-lock was developed in 1972.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just can't work out why having used a lock that wasn't up to the job, you feel the insurance should pay out.

Reasonable precautions to be taken to keep the item secure is an insurance standard. Knowing the lock wasn't up to the job in hand, before using it seems stupid.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Just can't work out why having used a lock that wasn't up to the job, you feel the insurance should pay out.

Reasonable precautions to be taken to keep the item secure is an insurance standard. Knowing the lock wasn't up to the job in hand, before using it seems stupid.

As I’ve pointed out. The lock was perfectly adequate at preventing an opportunist / walk off theft. It wouldn’t have mattered which lock I had, this was a planned job, using tools. No bike lock would’ve been effective. “Stupid”:laugh:

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
A60B7683-E7E1-4066-8F01-955E6B6ACA8B.jpeg

Here are my two other locks. They are heavy and a pain to lug around. I very much doubt either of them would have helped much against this theft.

classic33

Leg End Member
As I’ve pointed out. The lock was perfectly adequate at preventing an opportunist / walk off theft. It wouldn’t have mattered which lock I had, this was a planned job, using tools. No bike lock would’ve been effective. “Stupid”:laugh:
Take it you reported it as a "plannned theft" when reporting the theft.

No need for anything fancy or out of place either. Tin snips would have cut the cable used.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Take it you reported it as a "plannned theft" when reporting the theft.

No need for anything fancy or out of place either. Tin snips would have cut the cable used.
Of course I didn’t, I only worked that out that it was probably planned later. The cable lock I used was a triple core cable with high tensile steel cores. It would have taken a lot more than “tin snips” to get it off.

lane

Veteran

Not my bike that was stolen but......as noted above - my insurance company specifically insures my bike providing it is locked - no specific lock requirement - so in these circumstances I would expect them to pay up because that is what they have undertaken to do. On the audax at the weekend I didn't want to lug a gold standard lock around but did want my bike insured while I went into the co-op to get a receipt as proof of passage; low risk and probably even with a crap cable lock lower risk for a few minutes in a small market town than with a gold lock in a busy city centre for a couple of hours. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with expecting the insurance to pay up. In my my opionion not stupid either.

Top Bottom