ffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
came to work in the car today (front lights BOTH gone on the bike, i've got a cold, and i'm getting some logs for the fire while i'm here).

anyway, bemoaning the lack of my daily constitutional to a colleague, i get a load of all-cyclists-are-uninsured-rljers bollocks. and despite explaining that cars need to be insured because of the scale of damage they can do (and that many cyclists are covered by personal liability cover anyway) thay had none of it.

no road tax mentioned though, i was hoping to give a full demolition of that argument, but sadly it was not forthcoming.

:blush:xx(!:biggrin:

why is it that motorists tar us all with the same brush (apparently he had a cyclist rlj on his way in)?

how about: all motorists are 4x4 driving chavs with basball caps driving at 25mph whilst on their mobile phones? makes about as much sense doesn't it?

As cab so brilliantly pointed out

"his problem is that you're on a bicycle and he has a small penis"

Tetedelacourse

alecstilleyedye said:
came to work in the car today (front lights BOTH gone on the bike, i've got a cold, and i'm getting some logs for the fire while i'm here).

anyway, bemoaning the lack of my daily constitutional to a colleague, i get a load of all-cyclists-are-uninsured-rljers bollocks. and despite explaining that cars need to be insured because of the scale of damage they can do (and that many cyclists are covered by personal liability cover anyway) thay had none of it.

no road tax mentioned though, i was hoping to give a full demolition of that argument, but sadly it was not forthcoming.

:blush:xx(!:biggrin:

why is it that motorists tar us all with the same brush (apparently he had a cyclist rlj on his way in)?

how about: all motorists are 4x4 driving chavs with basball caps driving at 25mph whilst on their mobile phones? makes about as much sense doesn't it?

He's either a pr1ck, or dim, or has bad patter. Either way, the problem is his.

I don't really mind idiots tarring me with whatever brush, because at the end of the day, they're idiots and their opinion is meaningless.

I had this with an otherwise rational and pleasant colleague. Her insurance argument went along the lines of: A cyclist nearly scratched my bumper when he moved across my line of travel and I didn't see him because he was behind another cyclist. Shouldn't he pay?

She shut up pretty quickly when I pointed out that she was saying "I didn't see a cyclist and nearly hit him". Followed up by the point that of the 4800 people killed on the road every year, none of them (alright, perhaps one or two) are killed by cyclists.

ChrisW

Yea, we've got a guy in the office, rides a motorbike. He started complaining the other day about RLJ'ers and how it was illegal (correct).

I then pointed out that, just POSSIBLY, he may OCCASSIONALY, exceed the 30 mph speed limit by just a little bit? And this just may be illegal as well.

He's really quiet about cyclists now. :blush:

wafflycat

I was on my bike. Waiting at a red traffic light. Behind me I hear a 'beep!' I looked round and it was a woman I know in her car. So I smailed & waved. Traffic light changed to green & I set off - she behind me & then she overtakes me a little later. I get to my destination. Woman is there. She starts talking about cycling. Goes into the full RLJ routine, how all cyclists jump red lights. So I reminded her of how she'd greeted me less than an hour earlier. Her response? "You're not all cyclists! If all cyclists were like you there wouldn't be a problem!"

Go figure...

Tetedelacourse

wafflycat said:
I was on my bike. Waiting at a red traffic light. Behind me I hear a 'beep!' I looked round and it was a woman I know in her car. So I smailed & waved. Traffic light changed to green & I set off - she behind me & then she overtakes me a little later. I get to my destination. Woman is there. She starts talking about cycling. Goes into the full RLJ routine, how all cyclists jump red lights. So I reminded her of how she'd greeted me less than an hour earlier. Her response? "You're not all cyclists! If all cyclists were like you there wouldn't be a problem!"

Go figure...

No figuring to be done. Idiocy, plain and simple.

my line is simple

'...you lot kill 3500 people a year - including children on pavements, old ladies on zebra crossings, and cyclists whose only crime is to signal right in good time'. It's a generalisation, but it does work.

NickM

Veteran
When the last motorist ceases to use a handheld mobile phone while driving, I'll stop anticipating traffic lights' change to green when I judge that my safety is enhanced by doing so.

Until then, fuck 'em.

domtyler

Über Member
The 3,500 are only the ones directly killed in the UK through collisions. Start talking about the ones killed through pollution, wars in foreign lands in order to secure supplies for their precious petrol and so on and you move into a whole new world of death and destruction.

U

User482

Yes, my standard response is "have you ever driven at 31 mph in a 30mph zone?". Usually shuts them up. As does pointing out that I do pay road tax and I'm reducing the queue they're sitting in as my car's at home.

Top Bottom