Fiat advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, they don't.
What's to discuss?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I haven't seen the advert but my girlfriend used to drive one - it had a kind of pull thing to start it (like a lawnmower) and you could overtake buses if you were going downhill. Do they not pay road tax because of the size of the engine?

[edit] d'oh! Google says it's because of emissions.

[edit] d'oh! I just realised it's going to be one of those "no such thing as road tax" threads. Sorry, life's too short, I've got mushrooms to stuff, etc.

That's what I was getting at, yes.
I would have hung around, but i had to sort the Rice Krispies into size order.

amaferanga

Veteran
I haven't seen the advert but my girlfriend used to drive one - it had a kind of pull thing to start it (like a lawnmower) and you could overtake buses if you were going downhill. Do they not pay road tax because of the size of the engine?

Um I know it's a smart-@rse thread and not really about the Fiat 500 Twinair, but as it happens I own one and it is very, very different from the old 500. 875cc 2-cylinder turbo charged engine means it is pretty fuel efficient and emissions are low when you drive it like a nun, but if you've got a heavy right foot it's very quick for an 875cc car - think 0-60mph in about 10 sec. I'm no car buff, but I love it and the 2 cylinder engine sounds really cool - a bit like a lawnmower at times actually!

G-Zero

Über Member
My wife's new Toyota Aygo (along with a growing number of small cars) is also zero rated due to the low emissions, but I can't imagine anyone yelling at her to pay her road fund !

The few emissions that such cars chuck out are still higher than those from cyclists; and the weight of the cars will cause more wear and tear to the road surface than we do, so really we should all be registered for a refund from Government.

OP
OP
Andy_R

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The reason I posted, is that Fiat are making a huge broohaha about owners of the 500 not having to pay road tax, when ,as I'm sure the majority of CCers are aware, no one pays road tax anyway. Misleading advertising annoys me, that's all.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic, but if road tax VED is charged on CO2 emissions, why do I have to pay £53 per year for my 600cc motorbike? Emission values are not available for it, but as it does about 60mpg then the CO2 emissions can't be too high. Obviously only having 2 wheels and weighing less than 200kg means it doesn't cause so much wear and tear on the road, or take up much space. Even 50cc bikes doing 120mpg have to pay VED; 'snot fair!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slightly off topic, but if road tax VED is charged on CO2 emissions, why do I have to pay £53 per year for my 600cc motorbike? Emission values are not available for it, but as it does about 60mpg then the CO2 emissions can't be too high. Obviously only having 2 wheels and weighing less than 200kg means it doesn't cause so much wear and tear on the road, or take up much space. Even 50cc bikes doing 120mpg have to pay VED; 'snot fair!

Stop moaning, get a pedal bike !!

Top Bottom