Fifth Gear returns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The title "Fifth Gear" always amused me. It was set up by a faction of the old Top Gear crew when that was reimagined and they cheekily went for "Fifth Gear", which at the time was probably the top gear of many contemporary cars. Now though 5th gear is rarely top gear, and in some gearboxes it's barely above the middle of the transmission ratios. Now they've gone to EVs where there are generally NO gears (or one fixed gear in truth). :laugh:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
i think she has a better of how to drive than anyone on here i was merely pointing out that given the generally give a teenager /young adult the means to get about then their liable to push the envelope, if something is unstable due to design then it need more development

Butler-Henderson was showing off, in this case for the telly.

Matters not how good a driver she is when she has stupid mode switched on.

Many of the twocing crashes are also due to showing off, so at least she has something in common with knacker drivers who do it on the public road.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Butler-Henderson was showing off, in this case for the telly.

Matters not how good a driver she is when she has stupid mode switched on.

Many of the twocing crashes are also due to showing off, so at least she has something in common with knacker drivers who do it on the public road.
im not going to get into an argument about this but it seems your coming at this from a different angle but with the same result, let folk who are fuelled by hormones and the desire to show off and the result is the same but rolling a vehicle at the "low " speeds to me seems like an inherent design fault .

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
im not going to get into an argument about this but it seems your coming at this from a different angle but with the same result, let folk who are fuelled by hormones and the desire to show off and the result is the same but rolling a vehicle at the "low " speeds to me seems like an inherent design fault .

It comes down to knowing the capabilities and limitations of a vehicle.

Bicycles are not very good at cornering, but as an experienced cyclist you know how fast your bike can get around a bend.

If you were dumb enough to go into a bend at full chat and fell off, I'm sure you wouldn't seek to blame the bicycle.

Butler-Henderson cannot reasonably expect that little Citroen to take a sharpish bend at close to its maximum speed of 28mph.

Similarly, I doubt she expects the Lamborghini she tested in the same programme to go round a bend at its top speed of 200mph.

I reckon it would be possible to turn over pretty much any car if you tried hard enough.

Also worth bearing in mind the Citroen didn't flip over instantly, it gently went on to two wheels, giving Butler-Henderson plenty of time to back off and get back on four wheels.

There's an argument for saying the way the Citroen behaved on its limit indicates a safe design, not an unsafe one.

Drago

Legendary Member
i think she has a better of how to drive than anyone on here
VBH is a mediocre racer who has won little. I see little evidence to suggest she is and above average driver in term of either making safe progress on a public road or of dynamic vehicle control and racecraft on the track.

Mike_P

Guru
It's on Quest Thursday 9pm Freeview/ Freesat /BT/Sky/Virgin repeated Saturday 6am, Sunday 8am

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
VBH is a mediocre racer who has won little. I see little evidence to suggest she is and above average driver in term of either making safe progress on a public road or of dynamic vehicle control and racecraft on the track.

All possibly true.... but... she does have certain attributes ;)

Top Bottom