File Sharing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
For some time now I've been unable to open Dropbox from my desktop. I get an error message. I've been fiddling about this evening and eventually found my files on Dropbox via a web based something. How I got there I'm not entirely clear but knowing there is stuff still accessible to me is at least a step forward. However would it be the case that Dropbox expects to collect a monthly fee now? I saw something that looked like that on the web but AFAIK I've never been asked to pay up. Could it be that I can't open the "app" because I haven't signed up to pay? It was free when I started.

On the basis that a fee is required by Dropbox does anyone recommend a free file sharing "app" similar to Dropbox?

TIA

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
have you tried typing 'dropbox' into your browser and going in that way?

It could just be that the shortcut on your desktop isn't working anymore.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
For some time now I've been unable to open Dropbox from my desktop. I get an error message. I've been fiddling about this evening and eventually found my files on Dropbox via a web based something. How I got there I'm not entirely clear but knowing there is stuff still accessible to me is at least a step forward. However would it be the case that Dropbox expects to collect a monthly fee now? I saw something that looked like that on the web but AFAIK I've never been asked to pay up. Could it be that I can't open the "app" because I haven't signed up to pay? It was free when I started.

On the basis that a fee is required by Dropbox does anyone recommend a free file sharing "app" similar to Dropbox?

TIA
According to the Dropbox website you get up to 2 GB of storage free. You have to install an app to make it work, so perhaps your app has got corrupted? Try downloading again and reinstalling it.
I pay for dropbox, but that's only because I need far more than 2 GB.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A while ago, can't remember how long ago, Dropbox got in touch to say that if I didn't log in, (I don't use it much, or often) they'd consider my account closed. I logged in and still have access with no ££ changing hands.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Dropbox have limited their free offering so that you can only auto-sync files on three devices. If that’s what you’re trying to do might that be the problem?

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
have you tried typing 'dropbox' into your browser and going in that way?

It could just be that the shortcut on your desktop isn't working anymore.

I think that's what I did eventually - the Browser route that is as the shortcut thingy certainly doesn't work.
According to the Dropbox website you get up to 2 GB of storage free. You have to install an app to make it work, so perhaps your app has got corrupted? Try downloading again and reinstalling it.
I pay for dropbox, but that's only because I need far more than 2 GB.
Yes - I had the app. And I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the same (negative) outcome. My content is less than 2GB (to ensure no charges)

Thanks everybody. I've "joined" the Dropbox "community" and posted in there. So far no response. Looks like it's the Browser route.

The one thing I liked about Dropbox was the simplicity and the ease of just sending a link. Now I have to log in and all that malarkey.
Yes I know - 1st world problems for sure :laugh:

Top Bottom