file size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I notice my video of this morning's commute is 8 minutes long and the file size is between 200MB and 300MB. This seems way too big - I've got a lot of comedy videos which are half-hour length and they are about 230MB. Does simply importing it into windows movie maker and saving it out again reduce the length, if so by how much?

Also what is the maximum filesize that youtube will accept? If I try to upload the one straight off the camera, it helpfully tells me "Uploaded file must be less than {{MAX_FILE_SIZE}}", without telling me what {{MAX_FILE_SIZE}} actually is.

Bonj,

Saving it in windows movie maker does reduce the size considerably, so long as you don't save the data as DV-AVI.

I usually save it as 'High Quality Video (large)'. Files will reduce quite a bit for this. Further reductions can be achieved by using lower quality settings when saving from Movie maker. There is an optimum for saving to youtube, but I don't know it off-hand. Hopefully, someone else will be along....

Oh and if the commute still doesn't fit you can always split it into part 1 and 2.

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
I notice my video of this morning's commute is 8 minutes long and the file size is between 200MB and 300MB. This seems way too big - I've got a lot of comedy videos which are half-hour length and they are about 230MB. Does simply importing it into windows movie maker and saving it out again reduce the length, if so by how much?

No idea about the YouTube restrictions, but your helmet cam probably saves stuff uncompressed as DV (check the manual), whereas your 'comedy videos' are probably heavily compressed with DivX, h.264, or some similar codec.

All videos uploaded to YouTube have to be under the 100MB file size limit. The longer the video is, the more compression will be required to fit it into that size. For that reason, most videos on YouTube are under five minutes long and there is a 10-minute length limit for all videos.

Top Bottom