Film Recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Perfume: The story of a murderer.

Brilliant I thought. Quite slow moving but captivating and highly original. Some good actors too. It's a bit long but you wont grudge the time it takes by the end.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Interesting, I thought the book was one of the worst two books I've ever read.

Brock

I liked the film too, very different, great imagery. Novel adult fairytale stylised narrative with beautiful cinematography contrived to make you involuntarily inhale deeply through the nose.

marinyork

It is a marmite book, tends to get extreme dislike or like. I am interested as I didn't know they made a film of it.

Noodley

Maryinyork - what is your other least fave book?
User76 - what is your other fave book?

Let's see if your answer is the same book!

SamNichols

I loved that book, the way it builds upon smell as a sense. It's a great book.
My problem with the film is that Jean-Baptiste Grenouille eventually comes off as a sympathetic character at the end of the film, which he isn't at the end of the book. It is a good film, but not in the same league as the Suskind original, which is also one of my favourites (though not in my top 2 ).

Ending is flipping mental though.

Chris James

Über Member
User76 said:
How strange. "Perfume" is one of my two favourite books. I thought it was strangely enthralling and quite rivetting.

Apparently it is one of my wife's favourite books too. Another of her favourites is 100 Years of Solitude. I have read neither!

marinyork

It's not Hardy. Noodley, the other worst book I have read was a book called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The book was overrated and the film wasn't slated hard enough IMHO.

I am very much looking forward to Ang Lee's new film 'Lust, Caution' - top cinematography, espionage and lots of gorgeous women naked... can't get better than that!

Top Bottom