1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film Recommendation

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Tetedelacourse, 13 Dec 2007.

1. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Perfume: The story of a murderer.

Brilliant I thought. Quite slow moving but captivating and highly original. Some good actors too. It's a bit long but you wont grudge the time it takes by the end.

2. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Interesting, I thought the book was one of the worst two books I've ever read.

3. Brock

Brock Senior Member

I liked the film too, very different, great imagery. Novel adult fairytale stylised narrative with beautiful cinematography contrived to make you involuntarily inhale deeply through the nose.

4. Cab

Cab New Member

Oddly enthrauling movie.

5. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

How strange. "Perfume" is one of my two favourite books. I thought it was strangely enthralling and quite rivetting.

6. marinyork

It is a marmite book, tends to get extreme dislike or like. I am interested as I didn't know they made a film of it.

7. Maggot

I would agree with that. I have not yet seen the film, I just cannot get my head around they could make a film about someones sense of smell!! I think I'll go to Blockbusters on the way home tomorrow as my wife has her running club do, so it'll give me something constructive to do tomorrow evening. Otherwise I may spend all evening on this here forum:biggrin:

8. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Maryinyork - what is your other least fave book?
    Maggot - what is your other fave book?

Let's see if your answer is the same book!

9. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

I loved that book, the way it builds upon smell as a sense. It's a great book.
    My problem with the film is that Jean-Baptiste Grenouille eventually comes off as a sympathetic character at the end of the film, which he isn't at the end of the book. It is a good film, but not in the same league as the Suskind original, which is also one of my favourites (though not in my top 2 ).

Ending is flipping mental though.

10. Maggot

My favourite book would probably be "Tess of the D'Urbevilles" by Thomas Hardy. If it's marins least favourite, well I'll eat my bike, or a chinese tonight (95a, hot and spicy beef and black bean sauce, and chips), one of the two:tongue:

11. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

Apparently it is one of my wife's favourite books too. Another of her favourites is 100 Years of Solitude. I have read neither!

12. marinyork

It's not Hardy. Noodley, the other worst book I have read was a book called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

13. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

The book was overrated and the film wasn't slated hard enough IMHO.

I am very much looking forward to Ang Lee's new film 'Lust, Caution' - top cinematography, espionage and lots of gorgeous women naked... can't get better than that!