Filtering Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Cheers for the feedback everyone!

Had your headphones on? :whistle:

I'll get you for this.

Difficult one-as it's about what you are personally happy with.

Do you ever get the chance to watch other cyclists filtering?

Unfortunately the vast majority of other cyclists I see filtering are like the two chaps on mountain bikes midway through the clip - BSO riders hopping on and off the pavement. Funnily just after the clip ends I overtake them as they wait at a pedestrian crossing - didn't really speed them up taking the pavement.

Edit it then if you don't won't dross ?

Eh?

My thoughts...
Before you got to the crossing, the traffic was favouring the inside and were well spaced apart. At that point I would have gone outside until forced back inside or into mid ane between vehicles.

That section is a bit tricky, because there's a long bit where the road isn't sure whether it's one lane or two. In fact I witnessed a near colission this morning between two cars as both tried to 'filter' simultaneously.

So, perhaps the best way for you not to miss the train ...is to set out 10 mins earlier.

Not an option, unfortunately. The only option would be to leave work 20 minutes later, which I often end up doing! Usually at that time I get to the station 5-10 minutes early, this time I JUST missed it.

if you do insist, there is a section in "the guide" (a sticky at the top of this section) devoted to good solid advice on filtering...worth a read

Forgot about that, shall read again.

You cycle past my house! At 1:30 cycle on the right until you pass the lorry, then continue how you were.

Well have a cup of tea ready for me next time!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Edit it then if you don't won't dross ?

Bloody predictive text - no idea what I was going to write ? :laugh:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
What I'll do tonight, or at least next time I get stuck, is do more to look for opportunities - but not necessarily take them.

Examples that you listed above - I'll move to the right to have a look down the line and see if it's clear ... then just stay there watching it, imagining I'm riding down it, and see if anyone suddenly pulls out or suchlike.

I think the thing I find trickiest about filtering, is getting back in again. I feel a bit ... I dunno, rude just moving back in front of moving traffic, and am worried I might get hit from behind as someone might not be looking at me, even if I'm indicating, expecting me to move left in front of them. Is that ever a problem, or do drivers usually expect this from cyclists of the pedal and motor kind?

simon.r

Person
I think when riding a bike in heavy traffic you have to make a decision as to whether to use your size and manoeuvrability to get through traffic or not. In your video you are often not using the advantages you have as a cyclist. I've had a bit of advanced motorcycle training and one of the things people encourage in that field is 'making progress' - which is basically using the advantages you have (compared to a car) to get to where you're going as quickly as possible, with due regard to safety and compliance with the law. That means, amongst other things, filtering when it's safe to do so.

I take your point about 'erring on the side of caution' but I think you're being overly cautious a lot of the time. There are numerous times when you could have filtered on the o/s or n/s in reasonable safety. Of course, your definition of 'reasonable safety' may be different to mine!

I positively enjoy filtering and do it even when I'm not in a rush, but I accept that there is an increased risk of an accident when filtering than when sitting in traffic. Ultimately I think you have to decide if you're prepared to take a slightly higher risk to get somewhere quicker. The choice is yours!

BSRU

A Human Being
2:17 - Dont filter within the zig-zag liens of pedestrian crossings, its illegal
It is not illegal to filter on zig-zags, it is illegal to filter past the vehicle closest to the crossing which is stopped/slowing in order to allow pedestrians to cross.

potsy

Rambler
I too am quite inexperienced when it comes to filtering, working the hours I do means there just isn't the amount of traffic on the road to need to do it.
On the odd occasion there is a queue I will have a go, but like you sometimes feel a bit 'rude' when it comes to being let back in after going down the outside, once the traffic starts to flow I'll indicate left and keep looking back, usually get let in no trouble, quick wave of thanks and all is good.

Boring video btw ;)

Mad at urage

What I'll do tonight, or at least next time I get stuck, is do more to look for opportunities - but not necessarily take them.

Examples that you listed above - I'll move to the right to have a look down the line and see if it's clear ... then just stay there watching it, imagining I'm riding down it, and see if anyone suddenly pulls out or suchlike.

I think the thing I find trickiest about filtering, is getting back in again. I feel a bit ... I dunno, rude just moving back in front of moving traffic, and am worried I might get hit from behind as someone might not be looking at me, even if I'm indicating, expecting me to move left in front of them. Is that ever a problem, or do drivers usually expect this from cyclists of the pedal and motor kind?
I think that's the right approach.
Regarding pulling back in: I consider myself more at risk of a rear-end collision from a driver not looking, when sitting behind a car than when sitting beside one. As they pull away, match speed with their offside rear wobble a bit* whilst checking behind and move left. Yes drivers will expect exactly that rather than passing you inches from their right ear (far harder to 'forget' about you there than when you are 'miles away' on the other side of the passenger seat. Of course some will forget you are there which is where the mind-reading skills come in).

*Yes really. I don't mean let your wheels go all over the place, but sway the handlebars as if you are honking badly. This discourages close manoeuvrings as most car drivers will be worrying about their paintwork (which at filtering speeds would be damaged more than your handlebars). Of course this is why most commuting bikes are not lightweight carbon roadsters and flat handlebars without end-stops are preferred by some (such as me).

Bman

Guru
It is not illegal to filter on zig-zags, it is illegal to filter past the vehicle closest to the crossing which is stopped/slowing in order to allow pedestrians to cross.

I was close enough. :smile:

Personally I hold back until ive passed the zig-zags then carry on filtering afterwards.

BSRU

A Human Being
I was close enough. :smile:

Personally I hold back until ive passed the zig-zags then carry on filtering afterwards.
I used to think the same until I was corrected.

Top Bottom