Filtering Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Please note the below video is 5 minutes of me riding mostly rather slowly and nothing of any note really happens.

I'm not terribly experienced at filtering as I usually don't feel any need to filter and tend to err on the side of caution, but if anyone can suggest anything I might do in the below video to speed things up in case I get stuck in such traffic in the future, it would be appreciated!

No sound btw. Do not adjust your sets. Some weird Quicktime/Vegas compatability issue.

400bhp

Guru
No sound btw.

Had your headphones on? :whistle:

400bhp

Guru
Difficult one-as it's about what you are personally happy with.

Do you ever get the chance to watch other cyclists filtering?

400bhp

Guru
3:30 ish - go on the outside.

Generally, you could stand on the pedals which give you a better view and better handling when travelling slowly, look for opportunities on the outside

My thoughts...
You started out fine, had a couple of pops to safely(?) get inside the wagon as he had nowhere to go, then you moved wisely to the inside and picked up speed - in the passenger door zone - where it's dicier.
Before you got to the crossing, the traffic was favouring the inside and were well spaced apart. At that point I would have gone outside until forced back inside or into mid ane between vehicles.
I never feel comfortable on the inside.
Anyway, I only watched tp 2:35 so you may have changed further on.
As I said - just my thoughts...
Tony

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Personally Jez, I think you've answered your own question here.

Because my advice to anyone considering filtering is DONT unless you are confident and happy to do so.

Its a dangerous occupation and one I wouldnt "suggest" anyone does...along with drafting busses, riding no-handed, trackstanding with clipless pedals...hell even riding with clipless pedals...no scrap the...just riding intraffic. ( all of which I attempt but dont reccommend)

So, perhaps the best way for you not to miss the train ...is to set out 10 mins earlier.

if you do insist, there is a section in "the guide" (a sticky at the top of this section) devoted to good solid advice on filtering...worth a read

crazy580

You cycle past my house! At 1:30 cycle on the right until you pass the lorry, then continue how you were.

Mad at urage

As others have said, it's difficult to advise what to do, as you are not doing the basic things that would enable you to see whether (for example) overtaking on the outside, is feasible. There are a couple of occasions - at one minute and 3:30 (stopped looking after that) where, had you checked behind, it would 'probably' have been safe to move to overtaking on the outside (can't tell for sure as the camera doesn't see what is behind you). Similarly when the POBs pass up the inside, jumping onto the pavement, there 'might' have been opporunity to progess down the outside, but you don't even move to the offside position to look. Of course, moving inside to offside then back again (if overtake isn't on) gets some drivers moaning about 'bikes weaving all over the place', but that's because they don't understand how to overtake in a car, let alone on a bike.
PS. Best thing to do IMO, if you want to make faster progress, is to start looking for opportunities, even if you don't (feel comfortable and) take them. At the mome nt you aren't even looking for what might be there. On the other hand if that's how you are comfortable riding, moving out of your 'comfort zone' may involve increased risk - it's a learning curve. Your choice really.

You seem content to sit behind stationary traffic a lot and not look for opportunities. No problem with that at all, but even if you decide not to filter, inside or outside traffic, you cannot make this an informed decision if you don't look ahead far enough and weigh up what's available.

One of the reasons I love cycling is the ability it gives me to move through slow/standing traffic. I would not be content to move with the cars like you do for the majority of your video. For instance, would you even consider filtering in this traffic? This was part of my commute yesterday and pretty typical at rush hour in Manchester. I had no hesitation here but it's not for everyone, particularly filtering against oncoming traffic.

It's ultimately down to personal choice and experience at the end of the day though.

Keep safe!

Bman

Guru
0:43 - Be on the right, waiting for a safe oppertunity to overtake
2:10 - Dont pass the lorry on the left
2:17 - Dont filter within the zig-zag liens of pedestrian crossings, its illegal
2:40 - Filter on the right.

Also as said above: Position yourself so you can be seen by the drivers in front, in their right wing mirror. You would be surprised how many drivers move over for you. Then, when your happy there is enough space for you to filter on the right, do it.

biking_fox

Guru
Stop start moving traffic is a pain, it's the worst situation. I tend to wait till they've stopped, filter up a couple of vehicles (either nearside or middle depending on where is most space) and then ride in the centre of the lane as the cars creep forward a bit until they stop, when I'll filter up again. I don't like filtering past moving vehicles much because with the increased speeds you need a bit more room then you tend to be given.

As above - you have to look for space.

Be VERY careful filtering past junctions in slow moving traffic. Many drivers will stop and wave someone to turn across through the lane without either of them ever looking for bikes.

Top Bottom