Filtering etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Is there an etiquette to filtering with other cyclists? Should there be one if there currently isn't?

In the following video I'm the lead rider, filtering through some traffic. Situations change ahead and I want to move around the traffic to the ride to continue progress. Now some might say that hey, you're the lead rider, you get priority etc.. etc.. but in reality this isn't how it goes down, so a quick shoulder check and I can see two guys going for the same gap, which is pretty small as it is. And sure enough a collision and a rider goes down.

Some clear impatience here, and I'm sure a bit of arrogance "I'm faster, me first"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPqVyVDNkQc

jiberjaber

Veteran
Hmmm, if your closing a gap to a piece of street furniture, surely it would make sense to look over your shoulder... I don think the fallen rider showed much road sense there did he?

Drago

Legendary Member
The lad that got wiped out was an accident waiting to happen. Changing line and position yet didn't 'check six' once during the whole footage.

As for filtering I don't think its a matter of etiquette, but a matter of Darwinism. Diving for a shrinking gap or failing to keep proper observation are likely to prove the old scientist right sooner or later.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ouch , glad i ride mainly on country lanes because that traffic would give me brown trousers , the odd car going past at 60 mph is all i have to worry about and maybe 1 cyclist .

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
In that kind of traffic..especially. ....both riders failed to anticipate possible hazards

Mile195

Veteran
There's no etiquette to filtering I wouldn't say. If there's a gap I guess it's "whoever gets there first", unless someone is clearly on target for it already and doesn't have to change-lanes to go through it, when everyone else should drop back for a moment really. And if you do have to move over to take it, then he who doesn't check over his shoulder deserves every bit of kerb he ends up with as your video clearly shows!
However, his attempt at retaining his pride by not looking at anybody as he walked away was most commendable!

nilling

Über Member
"on your right!"

PK99

Legendary Member
Is there an etiquette to filtering with other cyclists? Should there be one if there currently isn't?

In the following video I'm the lead rider, filtering through some traffic. Situations change ahead and I want to move around the traffic to the ride to continue progress. Now some might say that hey, you're the lead rider, you get priority etc.. etc.. but in reality this isn't how it goes down, so a quick shoulder check and I can see two guys going for the same gap, which is pretty small as it is. And sure enough a collision and a rider goes down.

Some clear impatience here, and I'm sure a bit of arrogance "I'm faster, me first"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPqVyVDNkQc

there is clear etiquette in skiing:

• People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them
http://braveskimom.com/ski-etiquette-the-skier-responsibility-code-plus-five

There is Highway code guidance about overtaking cyclists and giving them room - or does that not apply if it is a cyclist doing the overtaking?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think the rider behind has to be a bit more cautious, afterall they have a clear view of what is in front of them. There wasnt enough space for a safe overtake IMO.

But heyho, some people are more patient than others.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'd say he was manoeuvring within the same lane.
He should definitely have done a shoulder check, but the overtaking cyclist should have taken more care. Rule 163.

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom