Final check before I buy :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dude7691

Hey everyone :smile:

Firstly I just wanted to say how much cycling has transformed my life. Gave me a real goal and numbers to focus my mind on. I'm currently managing to get around 3.2-3.8W/kg on my MTB consistently for 3-6 hour rides and I'm really proud of that after just 6 weeks of taking cycling seriously and being only 55kg I feel I have a lot more room for improvement. Plus I managed my first 50 mile ride yesterday on very hilly, poor quality roads against a 20mph headwind :smile: Just doing a final check to make sure this is the right bike to get :smile: Looks great to me as I don't particularly want the aerobars version as I don't need to go fast down hills as there's so many potholes and bumpy roads around where I live that going over 30 on a bike would be a death sentence :biggrin: Plus it's £50 cheaper with no other differences. I am a bit concerned about the gear ratios though. From what I can work out the lowest ratio is 1.2 vs the 0.75 on my MTB, would this be something to worry about or do smaller wheels (my current MTB is a 29'er) compensate for the higher gear ratio? Just need someone experienced to fill me on this :biggrin: This is the one I'm looking at, great price I think:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-...1qOFtgEiW2tUACX9JLk4rifzpOSXJzlQaAomHEALw_wcB

If anyone is willing to post some links to good padded cycling shorts and lights (front and rear) that would also be amazing :smile: Thank you so much for all the support you guys have given me it means a lot :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The 520 is a great buy for the price. Can't really fault it except to say you might be better off with disc brakes if riding in all weathers.

As for shorts we all like different styles but if you want the looser type these can't be beat imho.;
https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-hummvee-short-ii-EV292257
The padded part zips out.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

The 520 is a great buy for the price. Can't really fault it except to say you might be better off with disc brakes if riding in all weathers.

As for shorts we all like different styles but if you want the looser type these can't be beat imho.;
https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-hummvee-short-ii-EV292257
The padded part zips out.
True I'm so silly not to notice the lack of disc brakes :biggrin: Yeah I mean I will still keep the MTB that has slicks for the winter months and on wetter days where I don't mind going a little slower. I'm sure a bit of water wouldn't hurt the brakes too much anyway, I don't tend to go down super steep hills anyway and make sure I'm slow if I have to.

Shorts look great, I'll probably go for something a little less pricey though as I'm only looking to take the edge off the pain (rather than eliminate it completely) I got especially on the 50 mile ride, I'll be wearing them under joggers anyway so not concerned if they look good either :biggrin: Thank you for the recommendation though :smile:

wisdom

Guru
Nice bike.
It's a fair point about the discs (or lack of).
All my bikes have rim brakes so yes they do work in the wet but not as well as discs.I commute in all weathers you just have to allow more time for them to work.They fill your rims with crap too.
But I clean them regularly and have no issues.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Have you thought about drop handle bars? Much more comfortable for those longer distances!
Hello :smile: Yeah I have the reason I'm against them is purely because especially with rim brakes on the road I travel on predominantly I wouldn't want to be going fast enough anyway to have a need for drops, constant country lanes with only enough room for 1 car. Plus I haven't really noticed a huge amount of pain in my upper body from riding even with a mountain bike, and I'm pretty young so I can deal with a bit of discomfort :biggrin: Honestly I'd barely use the drop part, more just the hoods as I need to have my hands by the brakes at all times. I can always get aerobars fitted if it really starts to become a problem I suppose although I doubt it will. The weight reduction and the narrower tires are mostly what I'm getting it for anyway :smile:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Ordered the flat bar one :smile: With some lights and some padded shorts as well, hope all turns out well with it and I can't wait to start this next chapter with my biking :P Can only use a MTB on the road for so long xD

Top Bottom