Final commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattybain

And what a glorious one it was. Was sunny when I set off then just as I was getting too warm it turned foggy with a slight mist to cool me off :smile:. Then I managed to draft a JCB (not too close mind) for a few miles which was amazing and then arrived for my final day in the office.
Just hope the commute home is as good :sad:

So off to New Zealand soon, will report back as to how commuting is over there. Apparently the drivers are worse :biggrin: but the roads are generally in much better repair :ohmy:.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Drafting a JCB? Surely scalping territory, rather than drafting.

Apparently they commute and work during the night in NZ. And you'll need extra sticky tyres as they live upside down.

Tell us how it goes.

BenM

Veteran
Apparently the drivers are worse ;) but the roads are generally in much better repair
Drivers - mad as a bag of badgers. Roads? better repair? ROFLMAO. Only the really fast main roads are. Everything else is like a home from home :biggrin:

Enjoy Aotearoa - remember the right turn rule though; things turning right across your path (on the same road as you) have right of way.

B.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
mattybain said:
And what a glorious one it was. Was sunny when I set off then just as I was getting too warm it turned foggy with a slight mist to cool me off :biggrin:. Then I managed to draft a JCB (not too close mind) for a few miles which was amazing and then arrived for my final day in the office.
Just hope the commute home is as good :sad:

So off to New Zealand soon, will report back as to how commuting is over there. Apparently the drivers are worse ;) but the roads are generally in much better repair :biggrin:.

keep your eyes peeled for left hooking hobbits and the like!!:biggrin:

Im not jealous, really I'm not

Have a good time, is it a long term thing (sorry i've not checked all your posts)

OP
OP
M

mattybain

BenM said:
Drivers - mad as a bag of badgers. Roads? better repair? ROFLMAO. Only the really fast main roads are. Everything else is like a home from home :wacko:

Enjoy Aotearoa - remember the right turn rule though; things turning right across your path (on the same road as you) have right of way.

B.

Don't know where you've been in NZ but in Auckland the roads are fantastic. Mind you they can hardly be worse than on my commute, some of the roads are definitely 3rd world.

Yep that right turn rule is a bugger, mind you I drove around for about 2 months and didn't even realise that rule existed!! May explain a few things though

As permanent as anything is, we have permanent residence so it's up to us. Not selling the UK just yet though!!

OP
OP
M

mattybain

BenM said:
Drivers - mad as a bag of badgers. Roads? better repair? ROFLMAO. Only the really fast main roads are. Everything else is like a home from home :laugh:

B.

Well it goes to show how accurate the internet forums are. I've been commuting in Auckland for a couple of weeks now and on my entire 10km commute there is not one pothole!! in fact the roads are in superb condition which really put the UK roads to complete shame, they are also constantly replacing bits of road which to be honest don't really need it. Maybe it's a job creation thing?

It is fantastic to not have to worry about whether you are going to fall down a massive hole and to be able concentrate on the cycling.

The drivers also seem much more courteous than the UK, I have barely had an incident since I have started. I think the fact that every junction is traffic light controlled helps as there is less chance of being side swiped from people turning right. Also people seem less impatient which helps.

Not to say that commuting over here has it's down sides, it's bloody hilly and fairly windy and I am such a novelty in the office I am known as Cycling Pomboy (not sure about the boy bit).

However the fact that I barely need lights (and it was the shortest day on Monday) and the views over the sea as I come home make the ride :smile:

When my roadbike and camera arrive on the container I will post some shots of my commute.

that sounds great matt.
:-)

GFamily

Über Member
mattybain said:
So off to New Zealand soon, will report back as to how commuting is over there. Apparently the drivers are worse ;) but the roads are generally in much better repair :whistle:.

From what I've heard the rural main roads are very narrow and you WILL at some point get forced off the road by buses and lorries; because if you don't they will drive straight through you.

OP
OP
M

mattybain

Headgardener said:
Need to update your location Mattybain as your still in Manchester.
Good luck with the move and if you come across any Edinborough's they're probably some of mine:laugh:.

Sorted.

Met lots of South African's, English, Irish and Welsh but no scots yet. Apparently they prefer the cold and wet of the south island LOL

Top Bottom