Finally found one! (Raleigh Record sprint)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarryG

After keeping an eye out for a Raleigh Record Sprint for a few years now, that's not selling for over £100+, I have managed to find one on ebay, dropped the guy a message and some how have bagged myself a bargain at a grand total of £25.

It is the model I was after with all the gold anodised parts, but unfortunately does not have the black rims. This is one is for keeps as when I moved up north 13 years ago, I left one behind.

It does need plenty of work, but it wouldn't be fun if it didn't, will probably end up asking a 101 questions on here too!

pics ??

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Well first problem a jammed seat post, still won't budge after wd40, unfortunately I don't have a vice at the moment to put it in.

Have also noticed some missing parts like the front gear changer.

20141102_162724.jpg 20141102_162744.jpg 20141102_162757.jpg 20141102_162823.jpg 20141102_162840.jpg 20141102_162900.jpg 20141102_162917.jpg 20141102_162931.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice work! Looks quite good. The chainrings and cassette don't look too worn. Bob shouldn't bee too much trouble. The tyres look almost new, although if they're old they might be a bit perished, like the ones on a old Bianchi I bought recentl. Still be serviceable for a while hopefully. Don't know how much of a stickler you are but the pedals don't look original.
The seat post might take a bit of shifting. This a good video which might help:

View: http://youtu.be/aXuc9dTH9qE

Check the head bearings by holding the front brake on and rocking the bars back and forth. I seem to remember you are quite tall, if so the frame might be a bit small.

midlife

Guru
£25 was a bit of a bargain :smile:

Don't ever remember a RRS with chrome forks though..........

Best of luck with the restoration:biggrin:

Shaun

PS is there a frame number

Last edited:
Looks like you got a bargain there @GarryG :thumbsup:

The Campag and the decals tell me it's a MK1 Record Sprint, the one I've just restored was a MK2 AFAIK.

FYI, the anodised parts are still being offered for sale on a regular basis so you shouldn't have problems sourcing bits, but some people do seem to think they bits are worth mega £££'s, but IMO a Weinmann caliper is a Weinmann caliper whatever sodding colour it is :cursing:

If you can get the seat post out chances are it's going to be scratched to oblivion, mine was and it wasn't even seized! As for a replacement I just used one of THESE from Decathlon. It's supplied with a couple of shims, one of which was spot on :thumbsup:

I updated mine to 8 speed to make it a bit more usable too, and I fitted a pair of THESE wheels which I felt suited the bike perfectly as well :smile:

Here's a before and after of mine. I've actually just sold her as well, (needs must unfortunately), but I've no doubt I'll get another one day.

BEFORE AFTER
Record Sprint.jpg Winter Mode.jpg

As for the BB, rip the old one out and put a UN55 in, job done :thumbsup:

If you've any questions I'm happy to help if I can pal, good luck with it :thumbsup:

Top Bottom