Finally got hold of....Tildesley Planet Works Racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have finally taken a closer look at this frame,
1. It is a Tidlesley Planet Pipit
2. It has a Reynolds 531 frame
3. The black paint comes off to reveal something wonderul
4. I managed to straighten out the slight bend at the back upright
5. The seatpost aint moving (just yet)
6. I am going to keep the patina and do a gel coat
7. I've been researching the Tildesley Planet Works in Birmingham and I will post the info I have found.

View attachment 717777

View attachment 717778

What have you used to remove the paint ?
If you had gone ahead with having the paint stripped and powder coated you wouldn't have discovered what was hiding underneath that paint !
Sometimes it is good to try a bit of thinners first just to see what might be hiding underneath. I did and discovered a strange paint scheme on a Falcon Professional.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have finally taken a closer look at this frame,
1. It is a Tidlesley Planet Pipit
2. It has a Reynolds 531 frame
3. The black paint comes off to reveal something wonderul
4. I managed to straighten out the slight bend at the back upright
5. The seatpost aint moving (just yet)
6. I am going to keep the patina and do a gel coat
7. I've been researching the Tildesley Planet Works in Birmingham and I will post the info I have found.

View attachment 717777

View attachment 717778

Ooh that's what was lurking under the paint then .
Keep up the good work

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

A great resource is the British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
You need an account. I used to have a free account but it doesn't seem to be working right now, so I can see search results, but not the actual newspaper articles. Here's one that I found with a quick search:
1704279828120.png

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
What have you used to remove the paint ?
If you had gone ahead with having the paint stripped and powder coated you wouldn't have discovered what was hiding underneath that paint !
Sometimes it is good to try a bit of thinners first just to see what might be hiding underneath. I did and discovered a strange paint scheme on a Falcon Professional.

I did a test area with some paint stripper, which successfully removed just the black rattle can spray. A wire brush was used to agitate the overpaint. It has taken about 10 hours so far and I will go gently, an area at a time. I may have affected some of the original paint and transfers but I think the end result will look great. With the addition of some new wheels and shiny parts, it could look awesome.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I do have an account on this so I will take a look. I was aware of the fire and it must mean my bike predates this ?
Maybe they carried on trading? Who knows?
But the only newspaper mentions of them after the fire tend to be second hand bikes for sale, but beforehand there were adverts for the company. So maybe not.

Last edited:
I did a test area with some paint stripper, which successfully removed just the black rattle can spray. A wire brush was used to agitate the overpaint. It has taken about 10 hours so far and I will go gently, an area at a time. I may have affected some of the original paint and transfers but I think the end result will look great. With the addition of some new wheels and shiny parts, it could look awesome.

I would use cellulose thinners as it is pretty good at removing paint . Using paint stripper you stand the risk of destroying the paint underneath.

I used cellulose thinners with an old toothbrush. I then wiped off the goo with an old wrag. What you have uncovered is an attractive colour. Named after a bird.

Top Bottom