Finally got hold of....Tildesley Planet Works Racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
After many months of my Father teasing me with news he has an old frame in the loft, I managed to extract it from him over the weekend.

I appear to have a Tildesley Cycles racer, made in the Planet Works Birmingham.

Its in rough condition to say the least but I love it.

Structurally its good, aside from a slight bend in the drive side seat stay.

It is complete with forks, an almost locked front crank - the BB is stiff as hell.

I'm going to get it shot blasted and powder coated and restored. This may take some time!

Its a medium size (sorry, no measurements yet).

Watch this space.
WP_20151116_08_08_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20151116_08_08_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20151116_08_08_58_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
now that is a proper find and nice too

should this be in the for sale section though
(Mod note: no - it's been moved!)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

now that is a proper find and nice too

should this be in the for sale section though
(Mod note: no - it's been moved!)

Thank you.

Following your lovely machines on FB, any advice appreciated on getting this back on the road.
I'm guessing i'm going to need to find some authentic parts for this.
As for paint, I will try and work out what colour it may have been.

I'm unconvinced I have the skills to get this back to mint.
Mechanically I can probably do it, but to get a top finish with detailing seems along way off.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

You may already be aware of it, but this thread might be of interest: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-tildesley.182514/

I did spy this earlier. There are very few pages on the interweb about the Tildesley Cycles Ltd , Planet Works etc. I've just added something to that tally I guess.

its a shame, the Classic Lightweights site does not mention Tildesley or Planet Works at all. There is a page and picture of a Planet Hardtail in a post here, but I don't know if that's what I have - I don't think so.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Rooster1 looking at the pictures how much of the added paint will come off and leave the original black paintwork ?

not sure what to say re original era components it all depends what you want , would you be happy with a bike you can ride or does it have to be totally correct and in pristine condition ?

my plan would be to get it mobile in current paintwork ride it for a while and see what it rides like as no point spending loads and ending up with a real dog of a bike if it rides well then decide re paintwork and components .

you state it was your dads so does it have great sentimental value ?

what size wheels does it take ?

as for bottom bracket strip it out and have a look i bet its just the grease gone hard and stiff some fresh grease will make a big difference hopefully

keep us up to date with progress and dont be scared to ask there are people on here with loads more knowledge and ideas than me

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I have enough (modern) components to get it in working condition, so I will do just that and see how it is.
First check will be wheel size.
Second, that Bottom Bracket
Third, theres no mech hanger so I need to buy a hanger converter droput

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Third, theres no mech hanger so I need to buy a hanger converter droput

why not just use a a rear mech with a built in hanger ie http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-T...685465?hash=item2a5be9f419:g:nX8AAOSwiwVWRPM9

i have used a couple of these style on older retro bikes no issue

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Wheel size: I put a 700c on the front and there was a lot of air above it. The brake callipers were not close to the rims but the calipers were fully open (no cable) so I will take a proper look later.
Then I tried a 700c on the back, a 9 speed, and the width across the wheel hub was way too narrow to take the wheel. I'm assuming it would have had fewer cogs and a narrower hub.

Wheel size: I put a 700c on the front and there was a lot ofsize r above it. The brake callipers were not close to the rims but the calipers were fully open (no cable) so I will take a proper look later.
Then I tried a 700c on the back, a 9 speed, and the width across the wheel hub was way too narrow to take the wheel. I'm assuming it would have had fewer cogs and a narrower hub.

What type of brakes are you using? The old GB and Weinmann brakes have a deeper drop and can cope with different sze wheels better.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I have finally taken a closer look at this frame,
1. It is a Tidlesley Planet Pipit
2. It has a Reynolds 531 frame
3. The black paint comes off to reveal something wonderul
4. I managed to straighten out the slight bend at the back upright
5. The seatpost aint moving (just yet)
6. I am going to keep the patina and do a gel coat
7. I've been researching the Tildesley Planet Works in Birmingham and I will post the info I have found.

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom