Finally got it !!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekjk

Regular
Well everyone , after 10 weeks of waiting I finally got my first Brompton. It’s an M3R in raw lacquer . I’m really impressed with how well it rides and have doing little mods here and there that I ordered while waiting for it . Here it is !

Attachments

• 5E3CA141-3B69-48F0-B9BC-18A65DCE4066.jpeg
    5E3CA141-3B69-48F0-B9BC-18A65DCE4066.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 50
  • A3BEE78D-2D02-46BD-9AC9-D4C5B5B35542.jpeg
    A3BEE78D-2D02-46BD-9AC9-D4C5B5B35542.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 51
Love a New Bike Day, and a New Brompton Day even more! Congratulations and enjoy the ride ^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Now you have it you need to get some protective tape for where the cables cross the "crossbar" and where the wheel hooks on to the seat stay. It will also help if you use the Youtube vids to learn how to remove and replace the rear wheel and tyre in the comfort of your warm house. Unless you never intend to repair a puncture, Its not difficult. But getting the tyre off and on can be.

12boy

Guru
Definitely practice removing the real wheel and adjusting the Sturmey Archer hub, so you can deal with a flat when it happens. I recommend steel tire irons. The tires are tough until you figure out how to get them on and off the rim without damaging them. Happy trails amigo.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Well, I recommend not making a big hassle and riding and enjoying the ride instead. Forum members (myself included) have a tendency to suffer from GAS, being unable to use something as from factory and instead constantly trying to "enhance" it - whatever that means is up to the individual taste. But if we are honest: Most of those "enhancements" are not necessary - we do them because we like fiddeling around with stuff and because we do not know what else to do with our time. The downside is that we try to assimilate newbies and make them believe they will die instantly if they won't do a gazillion freaky mods on their new bike before the first ride. Let me tell you a secret: You won't. You don't need to buy anything, you don't need new tools, you don't need to train strange mechanical exercises. Simply ride and over time you'll find out what you are missing if anything. In the really improbable case something goes wrong during your first rides just hop on the bus - it is a Brompton after all. They fold.

This ^^ Ride and enjoy

shingwell

^^^ Indeed, a lot of sense spoken there @berlinonaut.

The Brompton bicycle has evolved over many decades and is a good bike. Even Bromptons are designed to a price so it will always be possible to replace some parts with better, but you will have to pay more for them than the Brompton factory did. But some people like to, especially those who hang out on cycling forums! But you don't have to. If Brompton used those parts from the factory the bike would cost even more than it does already.

And @berlinonaut mentions something that is often overlooked: if something goes wrong with a Brompton while you are out, even if it's just a puncture, you have the option of just swallowing your pride and going home by bus/train/calling a friend with a car, something that is often not easy with a "normal" bike.

12boy

Guru
I once got a flat riding to work in -10 C and was such a softie I called my wife for a ride. Just couldn't face the tire change at that temp.

OP
OP
G

greekjk

Regular
Thanks for the kind words everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate all the tips and advice. I have done a few things to it as im a tinkerer but nothing major, lighting, some appearance stuff etc. Its a great little bike, just gotta ride it and use it for what it was designed for:bicycle:

Kell

Veteran
I agree with @berlinonaut about just getting out and enjoying it.

But I would certainly at least have a look at how to remove/replace the rear wheel. It's not a big deal, it's just different to doing it on a 'normal' bike.

Top Bottom