Finally got round to organising it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been bugging me for a good while. I've got old cycling logs in books, touring logs, running notes in a filo and a lot of more recent data in a palm and the most recent on an excel spreadsheet.

So finally this weekend, I sat down and built myself an Access database to take the lot and converted all the electronic stuff into one format and linked my routes to mapmyride and tidied up all the data. The old written stuff I scanned in and linked to, so I now have everything in one place - satisfying result.

The great thing about databases is you can view the stuff anyway you want, not that there's a lot to view ;) I suppose I can go on to add pictures and other bits and pieces.

Pleasing to get things shipshape.

Shaun

Founder
So are you going to share some of the data with us then? ;)

I tend to do mine per trip on my bike comp, then reset it for the next trip. My only real stat is my overall total mileage for that comp/bike.

It might be interesting to see some more in-depth data about some of your tours, or annual mileage and how you achieved it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Well, judging by the response Shaun, you might be the only one interested ;)

Anyway: Attached is a view of my journal page. It's showing data for a particular route I do occasionally (not too often as you can see by the ascent figures :biggrin:). By default the Journal shows all rides/runs/walks/whatever. But by clicking in a field and using the Access built in filter button, it narrows the view down to whatever that field equals. Click in another field and you can narrow it down further. Useful for comparing how you're doing at any one moment against previous rides.

Route data is entered seperately and there is a seperate form for entering journal data. There are also seperate forms for bikes and scanned data and eventually I shall make up a form for drawing graphs based on data you choose (within limits). I will also add some data summaries like total mileage for year/month etc by category run/bike/walk and add odd other bits as I think of it. Nothing too clever but I do enjoy playing about with my ride data. It lets me see the effects of age and laziness very easily :biggrin:

Edit: Forgot to say ignore the Pace data, I haven't got the equation formatted correctly so that's displaying poo at the mo.

mr Mag00

rising member
i just add basic data to excel, well the openoffice version called 'calc', then i forget for weeks D'oh! length, time, weather, hr readings and how i felt

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Crackle said:
Well, judging by the response Shaun, you might be the only one interested ;)

Anyway: Attached is a view of my journal page. It's showing data for a particular route I do occasionally (not too often as you can see by the ascent figures :biggrin:). By default the Journal shows all rides/runs/walks/whatever. But by clicking in a field and using the Access built in filter button, it narrows the view down to whatever that field equals. Click in another field and you can narrow it down further. Useful for comparing how you're doing at any one moment against previous rides.

Route data is entered seperately and there is a seperate form for entering journal data. There are also seperate forms for bikes and scanned data and eventually I shall make up a form for drawing graphs based on data you choose (within limits). I will also add some data summaries like total mileage for year/month etc by category run/bike/walk and add odd other bits as I think of it. Nothing too clever but I do enjoy playing about with my ride data. It lets me see the effects of age and laziness very easily :biggrin:

Edit: Forgot to say ignore the Pace data, I haven't got the equation formatted correctly so that's displaying poo at the mo.

And you do all of that plus bike journal. When do you find time to ride your bike ?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Only the minimum in BJ, just to help out club Cycle Chat, though I can see it getting interesting as I identify those doing similiar distances. :biggrin:

Top Bottom