Finally, I have done it. (S&S ISA)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hope yours fares better than mine has done over the last few weeks...gone from 10.7% growth to 7.16% ... about a grand less now :wacko:
(7.16 isn’t too shabby just annoying!) :ph34r:
(Vanguard managed fund)

trying to decide whether to stick the remaining 6k of this years ISA allowance in it ...?
Not only are you good with bike selections, fund managers as well. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not only are you good with bike selections, fund managers as well. :smile:
Indeed, back up to 10.88% growth since account opened about 11 months ago :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
After much dithering I have finally opened a ready made S&S ISA (self select) that I can pick and mix going forward.

Not a huge sum but enough to make me concentrate and take it seriously.

You won't regret it long term so long as you have the balls not to panic sell at a loss when the markets periodically tank due to some major happening around the globe. Equities are naturally volatile, and it's both a blessing and a curse. The latter because if you've got a big portfolio you might see tens of thousands of pounds wiped off your net wealth in just a few hours due to some bit of bad news somewhere. A blessing because that same volatility can allow you to make serious money if you get your timing right (or are just lucky).
If you're going to be an active investor, rather than just go for an index tracker, you need strong self belief in your buying rationale if you take the out of favour value approach. I bought a good few thousand shares in both Royal Mail and Glencore mining when they were being battered. Most people I work with thought I was out of my mind. They've virtually tripled in value and I've sold most of the RMG since I think over a fiver a share is toppy and the div yield not that great. The proceeds went into LGEN, AV and DLG for the div yield. I've held on to the GLEN though as I expect post-virus commodities demand to rise and so the stock price and dividend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks to this thread I've finally pulled my finger out too, having a dabble with AJ Bell with my birthday money.

Hi Cossie.

Nice easy platform to use - once set up download the app' and you can view your account v.fast esp' if you have biometrics set up on your phone .

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Oh dear.

US wibble-wobble re inflation spooks global financial lemmings and we are back down to 2.57% growth since Feb 27.

Just chucked another chunk of hard-earned in Vanguard's direction today as it seemed timely - will probably drop further tomorrow. ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep my Vanguard has dropped from 10.5% growth last week to about 8% yesterday...
and nothing on the PBs this month!

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Yep my Vanguard has dropped from 10.5% growth last week to about 8% yesterday...
and nothing on the PBs this month!

Ditto re PB's - bit of a dead loss so far.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess, but I'll still have 50k, similarly with a cash ISA but returns are what 0.1% now, max 1% if bury the money for a few years. S&S should grow by more, but there's a risk they won't or indeed will fall. Mine dropped by about £20k in a week last year (wiping out several years of growth)!

Clearly anyone can do whatever they want with any savings ultimately (or indeed nothing) :okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks to the various recommendations on this thread & other similar ones, I've also gone for longer term S&S ISA investment for the first time.

In the past I've been very 'safe' on investments, slowly building up to the maximim holding in Premium Bonds which I'll keep as easily convertible into cash with the occasional bit of prize money for trivial spending. I've also only ever gone for the one year savings bonds and got lucky last year when the rate dropped by 0.5% the day after I took one out.

Having had a look around and, with the best bond rate being only 0.6% for one year, I've decided to take the risk & put the full £20,000 allowance into a S&S ISA with Vanguard, but true to my cautious nature it's been split with £10k each in a 40/60 & a 60/40 shares/bonds fund. I'm not planning to touch this for about 5 years other than to possibly add to it each year, with the aim of having a bit of an extra lump sum paying out part way though my planned early retirement.

Top Bottom