Finally, not Tom Cruise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I kind-of-sort-of-almost liked Tom as Reacher, at least in the first movie. In any case vertically challnged actor playing Reacher is very PC - we shouldn't discriminate on short people

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's happened throughout film history. Film Noir star Alan Ladd was a mere 5'6” and would often stand on a box in certain shots to appear taller than his female co-stars. Studios would even dig little trenches on sets for taller actresses or build smaller doorframes for their stars.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's happened throughout film history. Film Noir star Alan Ladd was a mere 5'6” and would often stand on a box in certain shots to appear taller than his female co-stars. Studios would even dig little trenches on sets for taller actresses or build smaller doorframes for their stars.
Maybe so, but Jack 'Cruise' Reacher was a bit like getting a Chihuahua to pretend it is a Pitbull! :laugh:

OP
OP
Andy_R

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
That's as maybe, but one of the key points frequently made by Lee Child about Reacher, is his physical size.

Tom Cruise did an ok job in the films but as mentioned above he lacked the physical presence of Reacher in the books.
The new bloke looks OK in that trailer.

Both are too old now but I’ve always thought that Liam Neeson and Gerard Butler would have filled the role well.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Reacher was written as a giant of a man with a huge physical presence. Quite often the translation of a character into film leads to disappointment. Why oh why was tom Cruise chosen for the part? It would be hard enough for an actor who fills the physical requirements to play Reacher, let alone his character. Tom Cruise was at a disadvantage from the start, being just under 5'8" which is not freakishly short (still taller than me, but it seems everybody is). Whether the Amazon version is more convincing remains to be seen but it looks like once the screenwriters get hold of the franchise, things start to slide.

I've enjoyed the Reacher novels for a good number of years but the recent ones don't seem to have the same zing and unputdownability. Whether it's over familiarity with the format, the author losing his edge or just my interests changing, it's hard to say. A shame though.

Last edited:

yello

I've read a couple of Reacher books. Well, they had different titles.

On a related note, I've always had a problem with accepting Kurt Russell as a 'hard man'.... because I recall him he was a child actor in Disney movies etc. His much feted role as Snake Pilssken (Escape from New York) was a hoot of ham acting for me (maybe that's what he intended??) In Backdraft, I just couldn't take him seriously. There's more to tough guy acting than snarling and shouting at people.

On the TV show Chicago Fire, the Aussie Dr House sidekick Chase equally makes me chuckle. Does the big 'he man' posturing stuff but carries next to no real menace.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The problem I had with Lee child books is that they are all the same. The same storyline just tweaked a bit for each book. They do become very samey and predictable and i got bored very quickly.

Top Bottom