Finally starting to enjoy cycling at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Last winter , in all honesty I didn't really enjoy cycling to much in the dark evenings. I think it was a combination of it being my first full winter of evening cycling , and the worry of cars not seeing me that put me off. Because of this my miles dropped off ,as I would only ride at the weekend in the daylight hours.By February this year all my hard work of the previous years cycling seemed to be slipping away in the terms of fitness. My weight started to increase slightly and the usual rides often felt a little harder. Come the spring though I was in full flight again and normal service was resumed.
This coming winter though, I really didn't want to get hung up on not wanting to cycle again in the evenings , so have taken some steps and some future planning to continue.I've ditched the cheap wilkos front bike light and invested in a decent Lezyn light to illuminate my way down the dark country roads. I,ve kept the Aldi cob lights on the bike as well as they are very good at making you visible to other road users ( but not very good at lighting your way ). The other big factor was choosing a decent route where cars are at a minimum, and the where the roads are of a half decent standard to cycle along. A lot of the quiet roads where I live are almost constantly caked in farm mud and pot holed quite badly, and the thought of riding along them on my pride and joy getting it absolutely filthy each time and dodging vicious pot holes is not what want to do.
So this week I've really been enjoying my evening rides out in the dark. The new front light is a transformation compared to my old one, and lights the tarmac up really well. The 20 mile route I took was only met by a dozen cars ,so the stress of traffic is none existent. Even in the dark it amazing what wildlife can be spotted. Tonight alone I spotted two badgers and a fox on my travels as well as the abundance of bats flying close by to me.
Coming home at night from work to an empty house and just sitting down in front of the tv is not something I relish throughout the winter. It's a long night by yourself ,so getting out on the bike for an hour or so really breaks the evenings up for me.It's a shame that the popularity of cycling really tails off from now to spring by so many, purely because of the fact it's cold and dark outside. With a little forward planning it can still be done safely and still be enjoyable" if not amazing."
Granted, I know many members here cycle all year around rain or shine, but if you were like me and a little apprehensive to cycling at night, I hope this post is of some help to you.
All the best and stay safe .
Johnny :-) :-)

Mrs M

Guru
I enjoy my night rides :smile:
Go out on the Pashley, just put better lights on, then away we go.
Hardly any traffic, nice, peaceful and relaxing.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used to love doing night rides.
I'd leave my flat and ride along the shared path alongside the river in pitch blackness to Horwich and then ride back home along the main road which at midnight, is fairly quiet. A little detour down by the crematorium, through the graveyard and back home by the river again. Going through that cemetery was a good way to scare the holy s*** out of myself and got the heart rate up momentarily ^_^

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just back from two hours' dark riding on country roads, which I do most weekday nights if I still have energy left from the day. Fantastic for clearing the head: a totally immersive experience on a cloudy night like tonight. No traffic to speak of once off the beaten track. Much better for the soul than being slumped in front of googlebox. New bike with Son dynamo for just this purpose - essential to have a good flood of light on the road ahead to avoid random wildlife, dead or alive.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think that late evening is a fantastic time to be out on the bike. The roads and paths are fairly quiet and it gives you time to think, look at architecture, and generally have a relaxed time for ninety minutes or so. I love it. No matter how awkward the day has been, I always drag the bike back in through the front door with a feeling of happiness. Bring on the night!

si_c

Guru
Love a good winter ride. I'm actually starting to get a bit excited about winter coming despite the cooler weather. Properly good bike lights are a transformative experience, especially when riding on quieter, unlit roads, but one thing I love about winter is riding into town in the dark, and the mish mash of reds, oranges and yellows from other traffic as well as the neons of shop signs etc. I find it quite meditative.

... but one thing I love about winter is riding into town in the dark,
... :laugh:. Horses for courses, I know, but that's the bit I dislike. My heart falls a little, as soon as I'm back into the harsh, deadening orange "same-ness" of the street lights.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don't mind it too much. I think traffic actually gives you a wider berth. I've just invested in a Cateye Volt 800 and really like it. Even the hyper constant setting seems to have enough light to see the road ahead, especially at the speeds I do these days!

I think riding in the dark seems to make you feel that you are going faster than you actually are though for some reason. Maybe because you are just concentrating on the pool of light in front of you.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A proper set of lights which are correctly adjusted makes all the difference. I don't mean a set of Chinese, burn your eyes out lights either. I will have to write a separate post about the lights so carry. I sound a bit obsessive, even to me. But I'm not ....honestly.

Keeping warm is also important for my 5am ride to work. It's 20km each way and the first 10 minutes is a bit nippy, but I soon warm up. Arm warmers are a good bit of gear and pack away small. I also have leg warmers but have not used them this year. My secret winter weapon is 60 denier ladies tights. They make a warm base layer and are not restrictive.

si_c

Guru
A proper set of lights which are correctly adjusted makes all the difference. I don't mean a set of Chinese, burn your eyes out lights either. I will have to write a separate post about the lights so carry. I sound a bit obsessive, even to me. But I'm not ....honestly.
I'm constantly re-evaluating my lighting situation, I've got a very good front light, but it is battery powered and whilst that is fine, it is limiting. I'm looking at dynamo lighting but am concerned that the lower level of the light won't highlight pot holes as well as bar mounted lights, so it is likely that I will continue to run those lights anyway. Ultimately for my useage dynamo is the only reasonable way forward though.

What's your current setup?

si_c

Guru
I run dynamos on a couple of my bikes. With a good B&M light and dynamo there's no issue about seeing potholes etc. The key thing isn't the number of lumens but beam shaping and how the light hits the road.
Yeah I've more or less decided on the iq-x or the supernova E3 triple. My concern was regarding the angle the light hits the edge of potholes, to be honest though it's not really a significant concern.

si_c

Guru
My experience is that the very powerful lights tend to 'flatten' potholes and make them less visible. Whereas the shaped beams of lights like the IQ-X and the Supernova seem to make them stand out more - they become more noticeable.

I've got the Supernova on my Ti bike and it's a cracking bit of kit. The next upgrade for the new grael bike (which has a through axle) is going to be a Schmidt SON Delux with either a Supernova or an IQ-X.
Sounds good. Pot holes are very visible with my Fenix light, but as you say that may well be due to the beam shaping. They are plenty visible at 200lumen settings never mind the 500, 1200 or 1800 ones. It's actually a decent light, it had two LEDs which both have different beam shapes, one throws down the road and one illuminates the road in front of you, from what I can tell it's overall beam pattern is not dissimilar to the IQ X.

The problem I have with the latter is purely about mounting, I don't have a through fork crown mounting option as the bike has disc brakes. It does however have a vertical bolt underneath the crown where the mudguards mount, and I have a feeling from looking that the supernova would fit better.

Top Bottom