Finaly Finished my Raleigh Lenton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
The bike looks great and it raises a question in my tiny mind ?? l have been trying to get proper, ie rational advice on the size of bike frame suitable for me.
The simplest calculation l have found so far is to take your individual "standover" height ie the distance between the floor and your crotch with your feet together, in cm, and then multiply by .66. In my case gives me a suggested frame size of 51 or 52 and this seems to work ok with the other size guides ie. the saddle height required so that your knee is slightly bent when your foot (in the correct position on the pedal) is at the lowest point of the revolution of the crank.
How would that all work with your individual measurement , Hope you don't mind me asking, lm just trying to find a real person for comparison:bicycle:
I always just use flatish cycling shoes with the heel on the flat of the pedal and knee just bent method ,it has always worked for me on many different types of bikes ,but I am just a potterer and not looking for max performance but it does seem comfortable ,hope this helps .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think @woodbutcher is trying to work out if a given size frame will be suitable when eyeing up possible secondhand purchases remotely without being able to ride them, rather than setting his saddle height. I don't take too much notice of what the seller says, as a lot of them seem incapable of measuring a frame correctly or accurately. I tend to look at the overall appearance of the frame and try to mentally scale it against known standard dimensions such as the wheels.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I think @woodbutcher is trying to work out if a given size frame will be suitable when eyeing up possible secondhand purchases remotely without being able to ride them, rather than setting his saddle height. I don't take too much notice of what the seller says, as a lot of them seem incapable of measuring a frame correctly or accurately. I tend to look at the overall appearance of the frame and try to mentally scale it against known standard dimensions such as the wheels.
Thats exactly what l do at least we all know the dimensions of a wheel even if the sellers cant use a tape measure !

Top Bottom