Find your local blackspot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Frightening.
I'd love to see the German/Dutch/Danish equivalent maps.
Anyone got URL's ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Its missing a few local to me, and mine in 2005. It also shows one where the person injured had no-one but to blame but himself. Having built a ramp in the road & tried to clear a four foot fence & ten foot gap.
Where did they get the information from, Hospital A&E admission records?

classic33

Leg End Member
No idea. A friend sent it, I just passed it on.
Going back to it, I found its from the department of transport
"The red, purple and yellow markers are all incidents up to the end of 2010 and will be updated as soon as the latest data is released by the Department for Transport. There are a very small number of errors in the data resulting in, for example, incorrect locations. Levenes Cycle Injury accept no responsibility for errors within the data and all queries relating to accuracy should be directed to the appropriate authority."
Found by clicking on "Read more about this accident map" .

Brains

Legendary Member
My regular 6 mile London commute has 383 reported accidents 2005-2012
That is 63 reported accidents per mile
or basis 2005-2012 is about 364 weeks, that means more than one cyclist a week ends up in hospital on my 6 mile commute.
This excludes all the collisions where there is no hospital or police involvement

I'm astounded by the sizes of some of the clusters
End of London bridge has a cluster of 65 accidents! Knowing the 5 way junction well I'm not that surprised, but you would have thought that TFL might have thought it a priority to do something about it

alicat

Legendary Member
It's got the collision I was involved in in 2010. Just collected £7500 compensation. ^_^

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
For my village it is quite interesting....

4 slight injuries in 2006

1 slight & 2 serious in 2008

1 Serious in 2010

Considering it is one of the busiest B roads in the country that runs right through it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There is nothing for where I live, which is odd because I live up a lane just off the a470 which is the main main road that runs through Wales. No injuries at all not even slight injuries.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's accuracy is dubious. It doesn't have my two collisions and it shows the collision that killed 35 yr old Olympic hopeful Jason McIntyre on the A82 as involving a child between 11-15.

GC

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hmm. Mr Spinney had a minor prang a few years ago, not marked. Although maybe it counted as no injury - but he was taken to hospital for a check as he'd cracked his helmet.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's interesting that there are lots of threads about how dangerous (or otherwise) some of the popular roads are in the Peak District. Such as Snake Pass, Cat and Fiddle, Woodhead Pass etc. If you take the map at face value, the statistics don't back up the perception of "dangerous for cyclists" at all.
Virtually no cyclists accidents on these type of roads. Almost all the accidents occur in the 30mph towns rather than the 50mph open roads.

Top Bottom