Finding it difficult to get my heart rate up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As the title says, I'm finding it difficult to get my heart rate up on the bike and feel like I'm hammering it.

Normally when climbing or sprinting I end up labouring, with my heart pounding, breathing hard and sweat pouring off me and really feeling like my cardiovascular system is fighting hard, but recently, it feels like nothing I do can raise my heart rate or perceived effort, instead, I get burning muscles and slow right down with no fight.

This is a completely new phenomenon to me and I've been cycling for 9 years now.
Ordinarily any time I've gotten lactic buildup has either also involved the symptoms of a big cardio effort, or has been on a long day in the saddle.

To show the extent at which it's affecting me, today I was riding on a flat former railway path with a tailwind and reasonable tarmac, but moving at more than 10mph made the lactic buildup intolerable (I'd normally ride these at about 17mph without much exertion), and climbing hills after the first few miles brought me to a mighty 2-4mph pace, with none of the usual symptoms of cardio effort, just the wretched burning sensation.

Anyone encountered this before or have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks
Ed

Tribanite

either your lactic build up has increased, so that your cardio isn't being pushed OR your cardio is so good right now, you need a bigger push.
try cycling with added weight, either with a different bike or a rucksack full of stuff. then come back and report.

after 9 years of cycling - i'm guessing your cardio system isn't being pushed enough

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Thanks for the answers, guys.

either your lactic build up has increased, so that your cardio isn't being pushed OR your cardio is so good right now, you need a bigger push.
I wish my cardio was so good! This phenomenon is a relatively new one after I resolved to get fit in the new year. Despite having been a cyclist for 9 years, I've been quite intermittent with it over the last 2-3 years and have never been able to regain anything like my former fitness levels.
I'm getting the singlespeed serviced and will see if not having smaller gears to fall back on makes a difference.

I've also noticed that I don't get thirsty on rides anymore (probably a combination of the cold weather and because I'm not sweating as much as usual), so I am quite probably becoming dehydrated on rides.

Do us, and yourself most importantly a favour and go to see your GP. Sounds like you are coming down with something to me.
Good call - will do!

Thanks again
Ed

When I first read it I thought this was suddenly happening after 9 years cycling but your 2nd post paints a different picture which makes it sound like you are comparing yourself to a peak physical condition compared to being unfit now. So at first I was with Rob but now I'm unsure, I think I still am but I'm wandering if this is just a result of lack of fitness? You lose it pretty quickly and intermittent over 2 or 3 years would do that. Is this gradual or sudden?

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

Is this gradual or sudden?
Very sudden. Even though I haven't been what I'd consider "fit" for a couple of years at least, I've still been able to go out and do sportives and such without this happening. I didn't have it on the first ride of the year (although I did get leg cramps because of the cold and wet) and lactic acid came close to the end of my second (70 mile) ride of the year after I had been battling headwinds and the southern uplands for much of the day.

Today had no such circumstances - tailwind all the way, not particularly strenuous at any point. Just couldn't turn the pedals with any real force without feeling the burn.

Very sudden. Even though I haven't been what I'd consider "fit" for a couple of years at least, I've still been able to go out and do sportives and such without this happening. I didn't have it on the first ride of the year (although I did get leg cramps because of the cold and wet) and lactic acid came close to the end of my second (70 mile) ride of the year after I had been battling headwinds and the southern uplands for much of the day.

Today had no such circumstances - tailwind all the way, not particularly strenuous at any point. Just couldn't turn the pedals with any real force without feeling the burn.

Definetly doc's then

Ningishzidda

When I go to my holiday caravan in Cornwall, I DO NOT go running. I get lactic instantly. Before I reach the site gate. On my bike, I can't push as hard as at home because of the same problem.
I have decided it is a change in water mineral content between home and Cornwall. Has your local water authority changed its mineral formula for its tap water?

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

When I go to my holiday caravan in Cornwall, I DO NOT go running. I get lactic instantly. Before I reach the site gate. On my bike, I can't push as hard as at home because of the same problem.
I have decided it is a change in water mineral content between home and Cornwall. Has your local water authority changed its mineral formula for its tap water?
This calls for Science! I shall try two independent rides, one with bottled water and one with tap water.

(Alternatively, Cornwall is ridiculously hilly? :whistle:)

Yep - it's obviously the water. Either that, or Edwardoka is a secret agent and he is being secretly poisoned by the FSB. Both are equally plausible, I reckon.

Mind you, the water content might go some way towards explaining Ningishzidda's post, to be fair.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
+1 for the Docs. Any sudden changes are worth investigating. If you are in doubt start googling rapid onset acidosis, respiratory acidosis. It will probably scare you in to going. You can't beat self diagnosis for a good dose of fear.

Reactions: geo
Top Bottom