Finding spots to make MTB trails/Jumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

anyone help me out with finding places to build jumps or trails
I've been hunting in woods, but the soil is really tough, and in clumps

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got to work the ground if you are doing it, and it takes time. Make sure you don't upset the land owners.

Watch some you-tube videos, it takes a load of time getting the soil quite fine, then all needs patting down, watering, repeat. PS you are probably asking the wrong people on here (we aren't all whipper snappers). Have you thought about making that wooden 'ramp' yet.

AndyRM

XOXO
Your threads seeking advice about stuff to do on your bike make me feel old, and I'm only 34...

Just go out and ride the thing.

Are you not based in Edinburgh, or did I imagine that? There are loads of parks and places around the city for riding around like a lunatic.

Sharky

Guru
I was a whipper snapper once. Distant memories of riding up and down the "Slag Heaps" in Eccleston.

fossyant

Don't think the chopper bike had been invented when I rode. Must have been on my Hercules with rod brakes.

My dad used to muck about on an old tip down Clayton Vale (where there is now MTB trails) in Manchester on his brakeless fixie. He's mid 70's now and only told me about these adventures in the last few years !

Faratid

I can't think of anywhere that you can build jumps or trails, other than on your own property. We're allowed to cycle on bridleways and certain other rights of way (generally not on footpaths), and of course on the public highway.
You say you've been 'hunting in woods'. Do you think you can go wherever you like and start digging & excavating on someone else's property? Do you think that doing so will have no impact on the environment and wildlife?
It's no wonder our local press are constantly inciting hatred of cyclists with articles like this.

fossyant

There are a few 'jumps' in three woods near me, all tucked away, and not in an area of scientific interest. Been there years.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just to add my local experience. I can think of two 'unofficial' areas of DIY jumps. One is in a wooded area just off of a bridlepath; it's a bit of something and nothing but offers a little bit of an interesting diversion from the bridlepath on the way past. The other is in a wood near a village - I actually came across the people building it one day and stopped to chat - they were basically locked down and bored and thought they'd build some jumps and berms for local riders to enjoy. A few weeks later it's gone.

I guess my point is that simply "finding places to build jumps or trails" is not all you need to do. You also need permission to do any building from the land owner. You also need to know what you're doing - there is the real possibility that you might create something inappropriate or dangerous with possible liability consequences for yourself and the land owner. At the very least you may be trespassing and causing criminal damage.

Top Bottom