Finding spots to make MTB trails/Jumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

You've got to work the ground if you are doing it, and it takes time. Make sure you don't upset the land owners.

Watch some you-tube videos, it takes a load of time getting the soil quite fine, then all needs patting down, watering, repeat. PS you are probably asking the wrong people on here (we aren't all whipper snappers). Have you thought about making that wooden 'ramp' yet.
what do u mean work the ground? - as in building,,,if so, im not bothered about that. thats wot i enjoy
yeah, but i need wood

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Your threads seeking advice about stuff to do on your bike make me feel old, and I'm only 34...

Just go out and ride the thing.

Are you not based in Edinburgh, or did I imagine that? There are loads of parks and places around the city for riding around like a lunatic.
no im not actually in edinburgh, im in kirkliston

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
what do u mean work the ground? - as in building,,,if so, im not bothered about that. thats wot i enjoy
yeah, but i need wood

Ah, that's where you will fall short. You need a spade as a minimum, and some hard work. You are going to have to dig the ground, break up the soil and build a 'small jump' to start with. - google how some are done - I watched the Dirt Factory progress.

What Id do, if you know somewhere where you ride, in the woods, if you can find an area where it's safe to build a mound - i.e. off the main path, then have a go - it's a start.

I'm South East Manchester, and if you load up komoot, it will show you folks rides. One even showed me a jump track in the woods. The other one is google maps. I never knew this was here, it's just off the bridleway when you cycle past - someone has got busy with a spade. No-one walks there though. See image below

Here is another spot where someone has built jumps is in the middle of this just after the bridge. Not on google but mentioned on Komoot - I regularly see young lads jumping here. all that's been done is they have constructed a few humps. The space is quite wide and it's not affected where people walk, but they have built the humps where tree roots are.

These areas aren't privately owned - it's local authority land, and if you aren't silly, you'd probably get away with building a few lumps to jump off. I wouldn't try wooden ramps as they will get torn down. These two areas just use the natural slope of the land.

Unfortunately, you've got to spend a bit of time riding around or looking at internet maps. Otherwise take a spade and start small.

Don't, however, go somewhere you aren't allowed to or of any area of preservation.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

how do you know if it's privatly owned or not?
i went somewhere this afternoon, i just saw a very narrow track going through them, but dunno if i could maybe make something there
below is the woods i looked at.

1591977890159.png

What do you think?

Sharky

Guru
hey what was it like,,,was it good fun
im thinking of going there soon
It was good fun, but I'm afraid they are probably no longer there. I am talking about more than 60 years ago. Around St Helens and Merseyside in the 50's, there used to be lots of industrial areas, bomb sites and lots of farming areas, which have now been built up into housing estates. So there was always a lot of places for a youngster to go off and play in. I am amazed that my parents allowed us to go off by ourselves - something we didn't allow with my children.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Some excellent information here.

Undertaking work to build tracks and features on someone else’s land is not an activity within the scope of the statutory right of access in Scotland. The building of unauthorised trails is a serious issue

It is safest to assume the land manager does not want anything built until you know that they do. All land is owned or managed by someone.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go and read the thread that's going on Singletrack forum about this. Even hard line mountain bikers are getting sick of the harm that cheeky trail builders are doing to their reputation. They say MBR started it some years ago and now there's a handful of social meejia stars who are encouraging it.

Top Bottom