Finding the correct electric shower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
Mira used to make an excellent electric shower (their thermostatic mixers have always been sh*t). Since they were bought out by Kohler many years ago it has been a race to the bottom in terms of product reliability, quality & customer service.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

At least the Triton ones (the target of my ire) are more reasonably priced than most of their competitors. Only ones cheaper are Galaxy (are they still going?). When I went to fit a galaxy a few years ago they provided a push-fit elbow with it (I usually use a brass compression elbow), anyway, said plastic push-fit elbow wouldn't even fit inside the casing :laugh: So someone at Galaxy thought it was a good idea and didn't even try it to make sure it would work!

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

I completely agree. My heart sinks when I see an electric shower. I always get anxious about being unable to rinse off the soap under the dribble.

Either you haven't used one for years (what they were low kW) or something is wrong - Even with the mains supply being very cold recently our 9.5kW shower is more than acceptable

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Either you haven't used one for years (what they were low kW) or something is wrong - Even with the mains supply being very cold recently our 9.5kW shower is more than acceptable

It's simply the laws of physics. Given the limited energy input dictated by the electrical current available, you either have to accept (1) a decent flow rate and hypothermia or (2) a decent temperature and a dribble. 9.5kW doesn't cut the mustard.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

I've seen 9.5kW showers with little flow because many of the holes in the spray head are clogged with limescale. If it gets too bad the pressure relief valve will release on the shower.

presta

Guru
she bought a new shower, same kw as the old one, ended up being totally different so now she has a number of holes in the tiling which look unsightly even when filled.
The solution to this is don't throw your left over tiles away when you've finished the bathroom, mine are still in the loft after more than 40 years.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

The solution to this is don't throw your left over tiles away when you've finished the bathroom, mine are still in the loft after more than 40 years.

or spend hours sourcing one with elec and water exactly the correct positions.

Top Bottom