Finding the correct electric shower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Bit of a rant really, but what view have others amongst our online community............
As plumber, I fit electric showers fairly frequently. Like a lot of products the manufacturers try to 'tempt' us with new products. That's the first thing I don't understand, as for most people an electric shower is a utility item, not a fashion one. Anyway, whenever I need to source a replacement (given that the broken ones are at least 5 years old) its a PITA to try and match up a replacement. To avoid unsightly 'extra mounting holes' in the tiles is an aim, and more importantly, the water supply position and the electrical connection need to be the same, otherwise changes (sometimes almost impossible) add to the difficulty/cost, and I like to minimise that for my customers.
Looking at the (ahem) leading manufacturer's site is a nightmare. Firstly it's a case of looking for the same power as a start, and then looking at the tech drawings for any models that have the water outlet on the same side as the old one, trying to narrow it down. It took me about 1 hour online to find a suitable one yesterday. Unfortunately customers (understandably) think any, say, 8.5kw shower will replace their old one. They may say 'this is the same model name' so it will replace it, but that name is now used on a totally different layout. . It doesn't help that the manufacturer 'helps' by selecting replacements on the basis of 'lower left water entry' or similar criteria, except the old entry is horizontal and their 'selected replacement' water entry is vertical. They also 'recycle' the moulds for the shower cases, which re-appear about every 10 years, but with a different name.
Oh dear.... Rant over.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Have got a spare shower in a box in the loft, precisely to avoid this worry

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

That's my kind of plan :okay:

I fitted approx 15 LED lights about 9-10 yrs ago. These are quite unique as surface mount but only about 10mm thick, so knowing how such technology changes quite quickly I guessed matching up to them in years to come when one inevitably fails would be nigh on impossible.

I bought 20 and put the remainder in the loft. Have needed to fit one replacement due to cosmetic accidental damage but the others seem to be lasting well. I have spares ready for the eventual failure......

presta

Guru

I don't have a spare shower, I'm not sure I'd want to be using the original 6kW shower from 40 years ago, it was freezing in winter, but I used some of the spare tiles when I replaced it with the current 10.8kW one ~25 years ago.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have an Aqualisa powered electric shower, works very well, takes from HW tank (can’t use with combi).
I’m on my second, and yes apparently the riser bar on the replacement had different fitment, so the plumber just reused the old one 👍🏻

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

I have an Aqualisa powered electric shower, works very well, takes from HW tank (can’t use with combi).
I’m on my second, and yes apparently the riser bar on the replacement had different fitment, so the plumber just reused the old one 👍🏻

That'll be an Aquastream - I know them well :smile: Good little shower, and not too difficult to fit a new pump if they eventually get noisy - though there are 2 types, so you need to know the date. The riser bar is a problem if the holes are different, and customers sometimes stay with the old riser and keep the new one as a spare - when they have a shower again the riser bar may have changed back to the original :wacko:.

vickster

Legendary Member
That'll be an Aquastream - I know them well :smile: Good little shower, and not too difficult to fit a new pump if they eventually get noisy - though there are 2 types, so you need to know the date. The riser bar is a problem if the holes are different, and customers sometimes stay with the old riser and keep the new one as a spare - when they have a shower again the riser bar may have changed back to the original :wacko:.

Yep, they do seem to have got expensive now, however Aqualisa keep sending me offers for free fitting of a new one as mine is out of warranty. I can't recall what went kaputt in the old one!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My partner had this very issue a couple years ago. Old shower was a Mira, plumber suggested it would be cheaper to get a replacement part, Mira didn't do it anymore so she bought a new shower, same kw as the old one, ended up being totally different so now she has a number of holes in the tiling which look unsightly even when filled.

My parents are not on mains water and have low water pressure, so have had some very frustrating experiments with power showers in the past. Lucky my dad is rather handy, otherwise would be very costly. You'd think that something as common as a shower would be universal at least across same manufacturers

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

Aqualisa keep sending me offers for free fitting of a new one as mine is out of warranty.
Crikey - that smacks of desperation. If it isn't broken don't bother surely. Their 'free' fitting with be with highest price of the product - maybe £100 cheaper if buying elsewhere?

vickster

Legendary Member
Crikey - that smacks of desperation. If it isn't broken don't bother surely. Their 'free' fitting with be with highest price of the product - maybe £100 cheaper if buying elsewhere?

Well indeed, I’ve no need to change, so letters get recycled.
Can’t recall how much I paid to have it fitted last time, Screwfix was cheapest seller though

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had the same issue. I re-tiled our bathroom, found a suitable electric shower that was all fancy, but hey ho, it only lasted 5 years (the other was nearer 20 when we re-tiled). Finding another was a pain. Managed to get the same entry point, all good, but it was in a slightly lower position, so the shower had to move. Unfortunately, this left one hole visible, but I was able to use a coloured grout to hide it.

Top Bottom