Finding your limits.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Even worse then. Thanks for the concern then lads :rolleyes:

Most were pretty tame balance issues but its easy to sprain your wrist with the rough paths. As said he would have been hurting if clipped in.

We're looking at doing the Jacobs Ladder route soon and wondering wether to switch to flats for it. Have your ridden round that area @Cubist
Not ridden it, but it's on the list. As for flats, well, are you comfortable with flats or more used to SPD? Check the videos, but I would ride SPD and pads.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not ridden it, but it's on the list. As for flats, well, are you comfortable with flats or more used to SPD? Check the videos, but I would ride SPD and pads.

Comfortable riding either and both feel natural. Think I bought my first SPD's back in '93 and still have them somewhere. I am probably more comfortable using SPD's as I have greater control but also like the freedom of flats for a rockery like Jacobs.

Chris1983

Doctors gate is not easy, well not for me any way...i have only done it twice and both times i haven't been much better...whilst i might not have come off my bike there is a lot of feet down on the floor and in a few places i walk my bike down :blush: :laugh: in fact maybe more walking than riding :blush: :laugh:

although i do have a hardtail MTB, that's my excuse :whistle:

Jody

Stubborn git
Great blog Andrew!

As above. Sounds like you enjoyed it.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Doctors gate is not easy, well not for me any way...i have only done it twice and both times i haven't been much better...whilst i might not have come off my bike there is a lot of feet down on the floor and in a few places i walk my bike down :blush: :laugh: in fact maybe more walking than riding :blush: :laugh:

although i do have a hardtail MTB, that's my excuse :whistle:
I can't see a good loop that would include it without some horrible looking road climbing to reach it. Respect for riding it though. Did you include it in a bigger loop?

Chris1983

I can't see a good loop that would include it without some horrible looking road climbing to rach it. Respect for riding it though. Did you include it in a bigger loop?

yes we do this ads part of a massive loop.

start at langset and go over cut gate to lady bower, up past hagg farm onto the A57. long slog up the road to the start of doctors gate.
doctors gate into glossop. follow the longdale trail to woodhead and then follow the TPT back to langset

42miles in total

Last edited:

Shaun

Founder
Fall No.8 gets my vote - purely on distance travelled down the hill away from the bike. ^_^

I've never ridden on any sort of technical MTB course, but I'd like to give it a try. It looks like hard work though and I imagine you have to keep your eyes open and concentrate quite hard to ensure you stay upright and on the bike?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Fall No.8 gets my vote - purely on distance travelled down the hill away from the bike. ^_^

I've never ridden on any sort of technical MTB course, but I'd like to give it a try. It looks like hard work though and I imagine you have to keep your eyes open and concentrate quite hard to ensure you stay upright and on the bike?
I laughed out loud at number five, simply because it was so predictable!

MTBing is all things to all riders. Just getting out on some smooth Dales bridle ways and drinking in the views, through twisty woodland loam singletrack, to ridiculously technical Pennine or Lakeland descents. No pressure on how fast you ride, apart from some banter and bravado of course, and concentrating on technique for the nadgery stuff. Get on the right flowy, swoopy fast trail, or pick your line down some slimy rock steps, bezzing it down a wide smooth limestone grass trail looking for little kickers to get in the air, or stuffing it hard into a good berm. Manmade trail centre with way marking and trail grading, or a local loop you know like the back of your hand and can ride after dark with some decent lights on to add extra zest. A day out across some wide open moorland, or a session at a skills park. A gentle family pootle along a canal towpath, or an epic day long ride using your map and navigation skills to their limits.

Give us a shout if you fancy a trip over to the Darkside Shaun, there's always a bike you can borrow!

Top Bottom