Fingers and thumbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Like most of us, I get my share of close/unsafe passes, but on my lunchtime ride today I was pleasantly surprised that there were none at all. Everyone who came up behind me where there wasn't enough room held back until it was safe.

In those circumstances I always signal my gratitude with a thumbs up to anyone who I may have held up, however briefly, but I worry that an upraised thumb might be mistaken for a middle finger, indiicating the opposite to the desired sentiment.

What does the team think?

DRM

Guru
I personally just put my hand up, much as I would when driving & some lets you through, it can't be mistaken for a rude gesture, & I think it shows appreciation for passing me in a proper manner.

I don't think they will mistake your gesture, unless their sight is so poor they shouldn't be driving.

My dilemma is always slightly different: do people deserve a thumbs up for not running you over?

More seriously, if someone - say - doesn't pull out in front of you, when you have priority then ... does thanking them say "you did me a favour" and imply another time, when they are in a hurry, they don't have to wait?

Slick

Guru
A simple acknowledgement isn't too much to ask for. A thumbs up should never be mistaken for the div, so I would just carry on as you are.:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't think they will mistake your gesture, unless their sight is so poor they shouldn't be driving.

My dilemma is always slightly different: do people deserve a thumbs up for not running you over?

More seriously, if someone - say - doesn't pull out in front of you, when you have priority then ... does thanking them say "you did me a favour" and imply another time, when they are in a hurry, they don't have to wait?

If a driver just does what the law and common sense requires that shouldn't be thanked, but if the driver goes beyond that and is more patient and careful than they need to be then a thank you wave is in order.

bpsmith

Veteran
People pull out in front of other cars when there is anything more than a two second gap. If someone waits longer than that for me whilst riding then I give them the respect deserved and wave or nod and smile.

Yes, you might have the right of way, but it's hardly any effort to oblige your fellow road users. They are more likely to continue doing so if they're effort is acknowledged.

The same goes when I am driving. Nothing worse than someone not waving or flashing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If a driver just does what the law and common sense requires that shouldn't be thanked, but if the driver goes beyond that and is more patient and careful than they need to be then a thank you wave is in order.
I waved today to a driver I thought had slowed to make it easier for me to cross. It wasn't really necessary as I had plenty of time to cross but I thought no harm in a thank you wave.

Brakes stomped, full emergency stop, horn blaring and then a shout of "get on the road like everyone else!" (I was on a cycle track that crossed that road.)

Possibly the most bizarre road rage outburst I've ever witnessed! :rolleyes:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I tend to give a full hand wave. Whilst, yes, they are only doing what good driving practice requires, it does no harm to show them that there are also considerate cyclist about (just as there are bad ones). Furthermore, some circumstances may be such that a driver is in 2 minds and you are in effect confirming they made the right decision.
I was just composing my reply, when I read yours and you expressed it so much better. Totally agree.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Waving to other road users is a social minefield. If somebody does me a favour when I'm driving or cycling I thank them with a modest wave of the hand or a laconic raise of a finger off the steering wheel or bars if they can see me face-on. Over-enthusiastic waving and raised thumbs are too chummy and make it look as if you are in a position of inferiority. It's the signalling equivalent of the over-effusive and insincere "cheers mate fanksalot" that you get from people who hang around town centres.

CUBE CRD

I agree with this.And although not cycle related,when i am walking my dogs on the side of the main road (no footpath),a lot of lorry drivers will pull right over into the opposite lane if it is quiet so as not to frighten the dogs....unneccessary but a nice gesture all the same.I always wave my acknowledgement.

Top Bottom