Finished my 1954 Rudge finaly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
The thingy I think you mean is the steering lock ,it has a pin that meets up with a corresponding bracket attached to the back of the front forks you can just see it in some of the photos unfortunately I don't have the key and its gummed up with paint too ,the ones that still have a key and work are quite rare .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If it's anything like a car ignition barrel of the same era, if you can get the lock out of the frame undamaged and remove the barrel from the lock, it will probably have the key number stamped on it (likely to be FP xxx). Once you have identified the key you should have no problem getting a replacement by number.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I would like to have a working lock, but know idea how to get the lock out it seemed sealed up when i had it in bits, so if anyone knows how to get it out that would be great, thanks skipdriver for the possible idea of making it work

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The thingy I think you mean is the steering lock ,it has a pin that meets up with a corresponding bracket attached to the back of the front forks you can just see it in some of the photos unfortunately I don't have the key and its gummed up with paint too ,the ones that still have a key and work are quite rare .

Do you know or can you see the number as my local shop have a selection of original keys and tags

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Just had a look at the lock there are no numbers on it on the outside maybe if I could remove it like skipdriver john suggested there would be one on the barrel but there is no obvious way to remove it ,there is a small hole just under the lock is this for oiling it or maybe to aid removal , tried pocking a thin screwdriver in just seems to be a solid stop .

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Just seen your gentleman's rudge post the fob on the key says don't oil key or lock so that suggest the hole isn't an oil port, liking your Rudge by the way great that your using it for commuting I like using mine to commute ,every one else flying along while I am sedately trundling to work

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Fascinating! Thanks.

I like using mine to commute ,every one else flying along while I am sedately trundling to work

and grinning from ear to ear I reckon, with the joy of a job well done! :notworthy:

Top Bottom