FIRE! (pits)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I'm looking at a fire pit for the garden. I started looking and before i knew it i had a luxury stone pizza oven built in my head...thats not going to happen. What i need in an inexpensive solution over this summer. The rest of the garden is getting a make-over so a low cost last one summer version will do for now. Had a look around and seen a few...
http://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?q=fire+pit
http://www.tesco.com/direct/garden/...cat10770006.cat#prevTile=pt-517-4397_517-4397
http://www.tesco.com/direct/la-hacienda-square-fireplace-bronze/213-7635.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=213-7635 Like this one!

Any advice would be helpful...?

Fubar

Guru
I'm looking at a fire pit for the garden. I started looking and before i knew it i had a luxury stone pizza oven built in my head...thats not going to happen. What i need in an inexpensive solution over this summer. The rest of the garden is getting a make-over so a low cost last one summer version will do for now. Had a look around and seen a few...
http://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?q=fire+pit
http://www.tesco.com/direct/garden/...cat10770006.cat#prevTile=pt-517-4397_517-4397
http://www.tesco.com/direct/la-hacienda-square-fireplace-bronze/213-7635.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=213-7635 Like this one!

Any advice would be helpful...?

Probably not what you want but we have a Chimnea, can be had fairly cheap from Tesco, Dobbies, B&Q etc - it looks nice in the garden but I don't think we used it last year at all!

OP
OP
luckyfox

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
This is why i ask you lot!! Ok that makes sense why they are so cheap. But would a small chiminea be pointless as I'm guessing they dont give out much heat...

P.s It is for a smaller seating area

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The cheapest option is an old washing machine inner drum.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShPY8zEj05refs7QGUJNiFz19z5bAFnL45rJ01UrXebLaxxeBWeQ.jpg
It took me years for ours to pack up sufficiently for it to be uneconomical to repair.
There are plenty of videos on T'internet but the best idea for a stand is to remove the pulley invert it and screw it back on.
This one isn't mine but I do not have a digital camera so its just a photo from the net.

AndyRM

XOXO
The cheapest option is an old washing machine inner drum.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShPY8zEj05refs7QGUJNiFz19z5bAFnL45rJ01UrXebLaxxeBWeQ.jpg
It took me years for ours to pack up sufficiently for it to be uneconomical to repair.
There are plenty of videos on T'internet but the best idea for a stand is to remove the pulley invert it and screw it back on.
This one isn't mine but I do not have a digital camera so its just a photo from the net.

That's brilliant!

I wonder how long it'll take me to gub our washing machine. SophRM is away on a hen do this weekend...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's brilliant!

I wonder how long it'll take me to gub our washing machine. SophRM is away on a hen do this weekend...
I first saw one at 'Off The Tracks' festival 15 years ago and it took 10 years of repairing the washing machine before the motor packed up and rendered it uneconomical to repair. As for ripping the drum out it took less than an hour to convert and Maz was not convinced...............until I lit it.
Still going strong after 5 years and 3 of my friends have made them since, :biggrin:

AndyRM

XOXO
I first saw one at 'Off The Tracks' festival 15 years ago and it took 10 years of repairing the washing machine before the motor packed up and rendered it uneconomical to repair. As for ripping the drum out it took less than an hour to convert and Maz was not convinced...............until I lit it.
Still going strong after 5 years and 3 of my friends have made them since, :biggrin:

You've got a fourth convert on your side! I'll be scouring the back alleys of Wallsend for abandoned washing machines until ours dies!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
or one of these
5691a3e7d142367dee048f4a3129aeed.jpg

2 old steel wheels welded together with an ole cut int' side

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Old calor gas bottles can make good ones too
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLOl_N2Kbr_i1ZvKuZVc-bqQfMNt-MeBza5PVfEh9nKltcHopM.jpg
But I'd get someone else to make it for me.:whistle:
The washing machine drum is really easy to make with just a screwdriver and a big adjustable spanner.:becool:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
image.jpg

I have one of these, but as pointed out above the smoke can be a pain, it is ok once the embers have died down but whilst the fire is burning you have to move around to avoid it.
Next time i'll buy a something with a chimney, to get the smoke above seated headed height.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Um, why sit outside when it's cold and then burn stuff to try and keep warm... just stay indoors.

Sorry, it's a pet hate... I'm clearly missing any benefit you all see in them, but it is just a waste of time, effort, money and energy... burning the money you're wasting would create less CO2... just a thought.

AndyRM

XOXO
Um, why sit outside when it's cold and then burn stuff to try and keep warm... just stay indoors.

Sorry, it's a pet hate... I'm clearly missing any benefit you all see in them, but it is just a waste of time, effort, money and energy... burning the money you're wasting would create less CO2... just a thought.

Fair points. My folks' only gets fired up to use as a BBQ, will be the same as my knackered washing machine one too.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 3612775, member: 45"]You'll hate a fire pit. Smoke leaves the pit at low level and you'll spend every evening with stinging eyes or rotating chairs around the thing.

...[/QUOTE]

that's why fires are so much fun.

As for the OP... dig a hole, surround hole with rocks or bricks, build and light fire, enjoy.

Top Bottom