firework night commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Debating whether to ride to work tonight given the general numptiness of oiks letting off fireworks haphazardly , saw a load of youts in a pub car park last night randomly firing them

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Had no problem tonight but can hear fireworks being let off all over the place

potsy

Rambler
If you are going to have a night off cycling in this is not a bad one to choose.

Anyway, isn't everyone locked down, surely nobody is out breaking the rules? :whistle:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If you are going to have a night off cycling in this is not a bad one to choose.

Anyway, isn't everyone locked down, surely nobody is out breaking the rules? :whistle:
1604600271852.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK, so it's The Day After now ...

Anyone got fog? I have a theory that Nov 6 is almost always a foggy morning.

No bonfires last night, so clear here. That said, quite a few of these fireworks seem to be using plastic casings for the gunpowder - found 3 burnt plastic tubes in our garden this morning.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No fog here. Arrived at work last night and it smelled like someone nearby was burning old tyres!!!

Got home this morning and found my quiet grove littered with shredded paper tube and my wife's car covered in ash. One of my neighbours was wandering about grumbling about the mess with an armful of used rocket sticks that resembled broom handles! :eek:

Apparently someone in the next road had a 'display' that lasted over an hour. :rolleyes:
Problem is the detritus left behind hints at lots of single use plastic nose cones, rocket booster bodies the size of litre pop bottles and even an unexploded bag of gunpowder that fell to earth without igniting. We had a brief chat about how to ignite it without losing an arm...... :laugh:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

pea souper all last night for me and the lane i commute on the farmer has been mucking up most of last week so although its been cleaned there are still patches that are slippy .Add on the fact we got 2 hours overtime call im glad i wimped out .

keithmac

Guru
Never even though of not commuting to work by bike on Bonfire night. Never had any bother in 20 odd years so far.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Never even though of not commuting to work by bike on Bonfire night. Never had any bother in 20 odd years so far.
I did wear some clear cycling glasses last night and tonight. Don't usually bother but thought if some oik decides to fire a mini rocket at me I would rather not get hit in the eye :eek:

The time of year that does worry me (but doesn't stop me) is the run up to Christmas when all the works/office parties are in full swing. Lots of randomly drunk pedestrians but more worryingly I suspect a lot of drunk drivers who think they can 'just have a couple' and still be ok to drive home afterwards!

Twilkes

Guru
A few years ago I was cycling back through Glasgow after work and got a puncture near the back of Glasgow Green. So I had the joys of fixing it right behind where the fireworks were being launched, getting the benefit of the display without the cheesy music or intoxicated teenagers.

Top Bottom