First 10 mile Time Trial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iendicott

Well completed my first 10 Miles time trial yesterday, must say I rather enjoyed it but had butterflies whilst waiting at the push off line.

Course was flat most of the way until the end when you incline up about 100 feet or so in 1/2 mile which doesn't sound much but when you have been riding flat out most of the way it's like climbing Everest.

Really please with my performance but much improvement to be had. Found the wind last night a challenge along one of the longest straights but still got a respectible 27m 23s.

Things I have learnt about TT's:-

Time Trials are fun to do but very hard work.
Pacing yourself is the key.
A good diet a day or two before the trial is essential.

Due to the wind resistance at the speeds you reach I invested in a set of aero bars when I got back last night as these aparently can knock off about 1 minute.

Not going to invest in a proper TT bike until I have got every little bit out my bike.

:girl:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well done.

iendicott said:
but had butterflies whilst waiting at the push off line.

five years on and I still do. For me it's never become routine, I must've done 70-ish of the things now.

It's been pretty breezy for the last few days, I'm not surprised it was hard work.

e-rider

crappy member
iendicott said:
Well completed my first 10 Miles time trial yesterday, must say I rather enjoyed it but had butterflies whilst waiting at the push off line.

Course was flat most of the way until the end when you incline up about 100 feet or so in 1/2 mile which doesn't sound much but when you have been riding flat out most of the way it's like climbing Everest.

Really please with my performance but much improvement to be had. Found the wind last night a challenge along one of the longest straights but still got a respectible 27m 23s.

Things I have learnt about TT's:-

Time Trials are fun to do but very hard work.
Pacing yourself is the key.
A good diet a day or two before the trial is essential.

Due to the wind resistance at the speeds you reach I invested in a set of aero bars when I got back last night as these aparently can knock off about 1 minute.

Not going to invest in a proper TT bike until I have got every little bit out my bike.

:girl:

You will probably experience all kinds of issues fitting clip-on aero bars to a normal road bike. For a start the reach will be too long, the seat tube angle will not be steep enough and the saddle will feel very uncomfortable whilst using the aerobars - HOWEVER, over 10 miles it might not be such an issue as 25 or 50 miles.

Getting a TT specific saddle is going to be a must with the aerobars (look at the specialized tri tip saddle to get an idea)

Good time though - well done!

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

Cheers everyone.

@ tundragumski I bought some Ritchey prologue bars, they do have quiet alot of adjustment but I know where you are coming from when you say the seat height might not be right.

Top Bottom