first 100 miler for 40 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Two years ago I came back to cycling after an absence of 40 years and now regularly ride 20 - 25 miles a couple of times a week with the occasional 45 miles or so. This is in the North Yorkshire Moors area so it involves a lot of hill work. This year, I and 3 or 4 mates are considering a ride of 100 miles. (we are all in our 60s) To do this we plan on riding from Bridlington to Spurn Head and return. My question is will the fact that most of our riding at the moment is in hilly country be sufficient training for our aims or should we be doing something different.

PS I am on a strict diet of Cornish pasties and brown ale:cheers:

Durian

Über Member
I'd lay off the brown ale and replace it with Theakstons Old Peculiar!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You're my role model! :bravo: I want to be in my 60s and doing just what you're doing now. I'm in my mid-40s at the moment.

As for preparedness, I guess it depends on how hilly this 100 miler will be? That's a fairly long distance for 1 day, and hills would make it tougher, but I guess it also depends on how long you want to spend riding. If you started at 6am and finished at 5pm, with 2 hours of break time through the day, then it would be about 11mph (18km/h) over the 9 hours riding time, which sounds OK to me. But then I don't know how fit you guys are.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think you will do it ok but it will be hard especially if you get any headwinds in the flat areas.I would try and do a couple of 60 milers first.

Kies

Two of us are planning a 100 mile trip from Clifton suspension bridge to Uxbridge west london.
Try and get some 60 mile rides in before the big one. Not only will they help you strength and cardiovascular fitness,but it will allow you to work out food & water intakes.
The extra 40 miles will be just more of the same + stops.
Good Luck :smile:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The hardest thing I found of longer rides, was the time in the saddle and taking the right amount of food on board. I ride a Brompton now and my 100 mile plus rides always are over 12 hours at the moment in hilly country (rossendale).

The hilly 100 I did recently was a lot lot lot harder than the half flat half hilly ones I normally do to the coast and took a few hours longer as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are all of a smiliar fitness I would suggest you try to develop a team approach whereby you take turns to lead the pace line, rotating every few minutes to the back of the line and allowing the next rider to come though and take their turn. This allows the group to expend around 30% less energy and will make a huge difference to your average speeds and your energy expenditure. It's called "through and off" and there are plenty of videos on Youtube showing how it's done. As a team you can cover big distances more efficiently than as solo riders, especially in the windy conditions you might expect over on the east coast.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I'd lay off the brown ale and replace it with Theakstons Old Peculiar!

The trouble with old peculiar is that it makes my legs go wobbly

Boon 51

Veteran
Two years ago I came back to cycling after an absence of 40 years and now regularly ride 20 - 25 miles a couple of times a week with the occasional 45 miles or so. This is in the North Yorkshire Moors area so it involves a lot of hill work. This year, I and 3 or 4 mates are considering a ride of 100 miles. (we are all in our 60s) To do this we plan on riding from Bridlington to Spurn Head and return. My question is will the fact that most of our riding at the moment is in hilly country be sufficient training for our aims or should we be doing something different.

PS I am on a strict diet of Cornish pasties and brown ale:cheers:

I'd say a pie in each hand is a well balanced diet... :thumbsup:

Top Bottom