first 100 miler for 40 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
171.gif

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have just looked at your pie chart Vernon. What a mine of information,I think that is a really worthwhile project. :hungry:

it gets me out and about :mrpig:

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
You're my role model! :bravo: I want to be in my 60s and doing just what you're doing now. I'm in my mid-40s at the moment.

As for preparedness, I guess it depends on how hilly this 100 miler will be? That's a fairly long distance for 1 day, and hills would make it tougher, but I guess it also depends on how long you want to spend riding. If you started at 6am and finished at 5pm, with 2 hours of break time through the day, then it would be about 11mph (18km/h) over the 9 hours riding time, which sounds OK to me. But then I don't know how fit you guys are.

Hi Victor. The route we are considering has been chosen because it is comparatively level and quiet. As for problems with wind, we are all old farts retired so we can wait for the right day and chuck our bikes (respectfully of course) into the van and go.
During my misspent youth we usually reckoned on about 7 hours for 100 miles but this time round I personally would be happy to simply complete the course. I think we are hoping for about 10 hours actual riding time plus of course time to visit a hostelry or two en route.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Taximan, I have recently discovered the joys of wind-assisted cycling. This was motivated partly by the need to fit my cycling in with family activites. What I do is nip out, lick a finger and stick it aloft, then either get Mrs Gti to drive me out and drop me upwind of home or ride downwind and agree to meet at the destination cafe. I have had enjoyable rides from Blackpool to home and from home to Settle, both at high speeds for little effort. We also have a route, which makes a circuit through a spooky marina called Skippool, the town of Clevelys and the prom up to Fleetwood and a crossing of the Wyre estuary by foot ferry. This is a great ride for my family because it's completely flat, there are plenty of cafes, you can do it clockwise or anti-clockwise and the wind blows you exhilaratingly fast right along the prom for several miles. There's the excitement of the ferry crossing and best of all, the thrill of working your way through the Clevelys DSS dossers, fish, chips and candy floss zone and suddenly emerging on the seafront where the vista of the sparkling sea and the bright sunshine just takes your breath away.

I'd have thought the same kind of rides would be possible with your location on the east coast.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Taximan, I have recently discovered the joys of wind-assisted cycling. This was motivated partly by the need to fit my cycling in with family activites. What I do is nip out, lick a finger and stick it aloft, then either get Mrs Gti to drive me out and drop me upwind of home or ride downwind and agree to meet at the destination cafe. I have had enjoyable rides from Blackpool to home and from home to Settle, both at high speeds for little effort. We also have a route, which makes a circuit through a spooky marina called Skippool, the town of Clevelys and the prom up to Fleetwood and a crossing of the Wyre estuary by foot ferry. This is a great ride for my family because it's completely flat, there are plenty of cafes, you can do it clockwise or anti-clockwise and the wind blows you exhilaratingly fast right along the prom for several miles. There's the excitement of the ferry crossing and best of all, the thrill of working your way through the Clevelys DSS dossers, fish, chips and candy floss zone and suddenly emerging on the seafront where the vista of the sparkling sea and the bright sunshine just takes your breath away.

I'd have thought the same kind of rides would be possible with your location on the east coast.

The rides are certainly there but close to my home is very hilly and to be quite honest I love it. Its just that we would be more happy attempting what to me will be a major challenge if we rode on more level terrain, The area between Bridlington and Spurn Head will be ideal for our purpose even though we will feel as if we are cheating a little.

markharry66

Über Member
okay wind assisted cycling a barrel of beans and a bead sheet tide to a broom stick tied to front of the bike for a sail job done but seriously good luck

Top Bottom