First 100 miler - Need Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny251

I am doing the pedal for Scotland challenge then riding back on Sunday which will be around 100 miles. The longest distance covered is 50 miles so far so so I need advice.

Should I preload carbs the day before? Any other general tips would be awesome!

Also there are plenty of feeding stations the way there so I will really only need bars etc on the way back. I do have jelly babies though :tongue:

Hi Danny.

Be glad to help if i can? So are you doing the ride,have a break and then heading back on the same day? I will base my tips on this.... Well i don't know what preps you do usualy but for such a big milage? If you do stretching as a rule then do that,i do but some don't.Take a small bag(handlebar bag or similar) and put energy bars and the like in there for the return journey,some energy drink too). You will really need to pace yourself since you have to do the return leg too! Doing the challenge should be easy and straightforward as you are riding with the pack and the miles will fly by.... So you get to the finish line and i would imagine there's some paperwork and stuff with officials and then your free to go....(Again...:whistle:) Ok well i would use about 20 mins having a good stretch and massage your bum...:laugh: and take on loads of water and then set straight off again,if you chill for too long your legs will not want to start up!!! So now its just you riding solo which is very different from riding with a pack and you will be aware that you have reached your 'maximum' from the past.... Forget all about that and just concentrate on the road,again using a sensible pace. Now you need to set yourself some targets in your mind. This part is going to be 20% physical and 80% mental... Yes you need your legs but you need your mind to tell your legs to keep moving....:laugh:. Try and get 20 miles done before your 1st proper rest,take water on as you go. More stretching and have a bar too. 30 miles to go and you can do it a few different ways... Whatever you feel comfortable with. I would do another 10 mile and have 5mins rest and then the same again and again to the finish. If you do take energy drink i wouldn't touch them until the last 20 miles... They do work but if you have them too early you will peak too soon and feel done in!!! Another good thing would be to have friends/family waiting for you and a quick call during a break does more than red-bull to get the legs working! Just remember to cycle at a sensible pace but if you do get lucky enough with the odd downhill section then give it a bit more steam and rest as you freewheel down!!! It won't be easy mate but a little moral support down the phone and plenty of water and energy bars and a little bit of redbull i have every confidence you can do it :thumbsup: The very best of luck to you and i hope other members give an insight to their perspectives... What works 4 one doesn't always work 4 another!!!

OP
OP
Danny251

Danny251

Hi Danny.

Be glad to help if i can? So are you doing the ride,have a break and then heading back on the same day? I will base my tips on this.... Well i don't know what preps you do usualy but for such a big milage? If you do stretching as a rule then do that,i do but some don't.Take a small bag(handlebar bag or similar) and put energy bars and the like in there for the return journey,some energy drink too). You will really need to pace yourself since you have to do the return leg too! Doing the challenge should be easy and straightforward as you are riding with the pack and the miles will fly by.... So you get to the finish line and i would imagine there's some paperwork and stuff with officials and then your free to go....(Again...:whistle:) Ok well i would use about 20 mins having a good stretch and massage your bum...:laugh: and take on loads of water and then set straight off again,if you chill for too long your legs will not want to start up!!! So now its just you riding solo which is very different from riding with a pack and you will be aware that you have reached your 'maximum' from the past.... Forget all about that and just concentrate on the road,again using a sensible pace. Now you need to set yourself some targets in your mind. This part is going to be 20% physical and 80% mental... Yes you need your legs but you need your mind to tell your legs to keep moving....:laugh:. Try and get 20 miles done before your 1st proper rest,take water on as you go. More stretching and have a bar too. 30 miles to go and you can do it a few different ways... Whatever you feel comfortable with. I would do another 10 mile and have 5mins rest and then the same again and again to the finish. If you do take energy drink i wouldn't touch them until the last 20 miles... They do work but if you have them too early you will peak too soon and feel done in!!! Another good thing would be to have friends/family waiting for you and a quick call during a break does more than red-bull to get the legs working! Just remember to cycle at a sensible pace but if you do get lucky enough with the odd downhill section then give it a bit more steam and rest as you freewheel down!!! It won't be easy mate but a little moral support down the phone and plenty of water and energy bars and a little bit of redbull i have every confidence you can do it :thumbsup: The very best of luck to you and i hope other members give an insight to their perspectives... What works 4 one doesn't always work 4 another!!!

Thanks for the great reply :smile:

Some of the group are heading back at 16mph average so I will probably end up letting them go on ahead since this is my first 100 miles. Some very useful info there thanks. Will definitely free-wheel as much as possible on the way back haha. Thanks again :biggrin:

I was going to mention that other ppl would probably be heading back but i was worried about the pace they may be keeping... Don't be suprised if you go past a few towards the end though! Sounds to me like you are being realistic in your abilities and thinking 'hey i pace myself'.... One or two of that group could be in the same boat as you (ability-wise) but they acting with 'Bravado'. Don't be tempted to do the same.....:whistle:. I have gone past pro-cyclists (and i aint 1...) who 2hrs earlier went past like i was cycling through custard!!! Some were on their last legs and some had given up... It happens. Bet you come across someone who wants to do similar pace as yourself anyway...:thumbsup:

Oh and when i say 'your ability' I just mean that you know your max in the past is 50m... I am not saying 'your just about good enough? or cycle like an OAP!'... My last tour i amazed myself and i think your gonna do the same. Please keep me posted or put a thread with pics of your ride. Oh b4 i get berated some OAP's put us young un's to shame.... I meant 'Last of the Summer Wine' type....:laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Danny - the current weather conditions suggest that you are probably going to have a 20+ mph tailwind on the way out which should make it very easy. Unfortunately, that means the Headwind-From-Hell on the way back to Glasgow. It is likely to be extremely hard going and you should be mentally ready for it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! :wacko:

OP
OP
Danny251

Danny251

I was going to mention that other ppl would probably be heading back but i was worried about the pace they may be keeping... Don't be suprised if you go past a few towards the end though! Sounds to me like you are being realistic in your abilities and thinking 'hey i pace myself'.... One or two of that group could be in the same boat as you (ability-wise) but they acting with 'Bravado'. Don't be tempted to do the same.....:whistle:. I have gone past pro-cyclists (and i aint 1...) who 2hrs earlier went past like i was cycling through custard!!! Some were on their last legs and some had given up... It happens. Bet you come across someone who wants to do similar pace as yourself anyway...:thumbsup:

Oh and when i say 'your ability' I just mean that you know your max in the past is 50m... I am not saying 'your just about good enough? or cycle like an OAP!'... My last tour i amazed myself and i think your gonna do the same. Please keep me posted or put a thread with pics of your ride. Oh b4 i get berated some OAP's put us young un's to shame.... I meant 'Last of the Summer Wine' type....:laugh:

Yeah hopefully at least one guy will be going at my pace lol!
Hopefully I will amaze myself too been cycling for 3 months now so if I make the 100 miles I will be extremely pleased and then I will know I have actually earned my charity pledges :smile:

I will make a thread after it if I have the energy lol

Danny - the current weather conditions suggest that you are probably going to have a 20+ mph tailwind on the way out which should make it very easy. Unfortunately, that means the Headwind-From-Hell on the way back to Glasgow. It is likely to be extremely hard going and you should be mentally ready for it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! :wacko:

Thanks for the info I guess I will take it very easy on the way in and hopefully I am in a group on the way back and can draft :biggrin:

The bloody wind!!!! Grrrr..... ColinJ is right about the mentality though... I do the solo stuff so i am used to it and its in my comfort zone. I look forward to your thread Danny and i really do hope it goes well. The very best of luck mate....:thumbsup:.... Oh if you do have others going back at your pace then do as the pro's do and slipstream behind a few :smile:

Top Bottom