First 100 miler - tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aha! But that's my point, you were riding a route you didn't know, and in those circumstances I would have used the ETrex. Over the years I have cycled, I have ridden pretty much all the routes round here and so don't usually need a satnav. [unless it is an Audax with set check points of course]
On the known routes, I am only really reminding myself of the distance travelled and time of day. I certainly don't log all the data that I used to. When I first started, I did make a note of things like maximum and average speed. Nowadays, I don't bother, I just enjoy the ride.

I started upping my mileage on the bike earlier this year. I was surprised at how quickly I adjusted to longer rides, and how soon I was doing regular 100 milers. The 2 biggest issues I encountered were 'the bonk', and mechanicals, in the middle of nowhere, and miles from home, or a train station.I still hit the bonk occasionally, regardless of loading previous to the ride, and planning sustanance stops en route, it just means I tend to give myself an extra 30 minutes - 1 hour window, to allow me to slow down if I think I'm getting close to empty. I tend to carry more emergency repair kit than I used to as well now, but I've got small gas inflators rather than bulky pumps, and I always carry spare links for my chain now, as well as the usual couple of tubes. I don't worry about the big mechanicals too much, as I've really only had one show stopper, in several years riding (a collapsed wheel). I walked the bike to the nearest inhabited place, asked the local pub landlord if I could tie the bike up at his pub overnight, got a taxi to the nearest train station, then went back the following day, with a new wheel, did the repair and rode home. It wasn't as bad as I'd imagined in the end.

Andy Jeffery

Hi. I did my first one last week with my brother in law. He lives in the U.S. so I thought it would be nice to do my first in a special place etc etc. Anyway the first 50 were fine and we stopped for lunch. We did not really think about all the climbing so plan for that.! After 70 we were tired and it was getting dark and cold so like said before start early to avoid this. All that said it was a great day and the sense of achievement was massive at the end which helped with the aching legs! Make sure you eat and drink enough and it will get you through. Ps enjoy the view and take a few selfies for fun as that's why we cycle. Cheers Andy.
image.jpg

Top Bottom