First 100 miler - tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Drink regularly, eat before you get hungry, stop and have a 10 min break at half way.

:eek:

The few centuries I have done have involved a proper stop (tea and cakes) at 30 miles and 60ish miles, and then snack stops at around 80, 90, and rest the leg stops at 95...etc
(you get my drift!)

We're not all as fit as Rooster1! Don't think you have to aim for his (?) standards!

@Trikeman had the right idea!

jagman.2003

Über Member
I did my first imperial century last month. Agree with the advise so far & my pennies worth below..
  • I stopped roughly every 20 miles.
  • I set myself a good steady but not fast pace.
  • Ate as much as I could before & during. I carried as much water as I could & bought some more from a garage, but still ran out towards the end.
  • Took enough money for supplies if I needed more.
  • I planned the route on Strava by stitching together a load of my regular rides in a circular map. So I knew roughly where I was going. Downloaded to Garmin & followed it on grey areas.
  • I gave myself a few route options to get home quicker if I was fading fast. I used the last option & did a few laps closer to home. Mentally felt better for that.
  • The saddle on the bike became very painful after about 70 miles. Only done approx. 30 miles in one go on that bike before. Weather forced change of bike at last minute. But pain took my mind off tired legs. Expressions must have been priceless.
  • Managed 17.3mph average. So quite happy with that.
  • Tail wind on last leg home was very nice.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Sounds like you guys did it on your own!!!

I do 15 miles every week in the evening as a blitz averaging about 17mph.
Going to aim for about 13mph average minimum, so that's about 7 hours biking!

After the 50 miler I did, I was ok, slight cramp on left knee after 40 miles, but apart from that, very comfy!

Bodhbh

Guru
I think just remember you have all day and enjoy it. Everyone is a bit different regarding breaks and food - some like to keep warmed up and only have frequent short stops, others stop for one or more long pig outs (I'm in this camp). Some people like to stick to carbs and energy snacks and others (me again) like proper food. I would probably skip breakfast and eat 20-30miles in, personally, but again...everyone's different. However you take your breaks tho, don't gete caught without food - it's pretty unpleasant if you start to 'bonk' in the middle of nowhere and seems to hit without much warning. It's best to having an emergency snack in a pannier. If you do 15miles aday and already done 50, you'll be fine imo!

jagman.2003

Über Member
You deserve a prize for positive thinking.

How to turn a sore bum into a motivational tool.

Thankyou. But to be fair I didn't think of it like that at the time. Just noticed on last couple of miles my legs still had some life in them.
Same can't be said for my a*se. I phoned ahead & booked a hot bath & a big cushion.
Lesson for that day.....a saddle that is good for 30 miles may be a bed of nails after 70.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
A little low resolution, but thinking of doing this route

Any idea of how to check for altitude?
I'm just hoping there are not a string of monster hills!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.14.59.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.14.59.png
    295.7 KB · Views: 34

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sounds like you guys did it on your own!!!
My longest rides have always been on my own. I last better when I can go at my own speed instead of trying to keep up with OH all the time!

The saddle on the bike became very painful after about 70 miles. Only done approx. 30 miles in one go on that bike before. Weather forced change of bike at last minute. But pain took my mind off tired legs. Expressions must have been priceless.

Maybe as a female I'm better at multi-tasking? I can feel pain in my bum and my legs at the same time!!!!

rb58

Enigma
I also favour a proper half way stop and real food. If it's an early ride, then Full English would be my choice. I try and avoid sugary snacks, but have been known to take a muesli bar as an emergency supply. I especially avoid 'gels' which only serve to upset my stomach. Make sure you hydrate well before you start.

In terms of satnav, I do have one but I only use it if I'm going somewhere I've not been before, preferring a traditional wireless computer instead. Otherwise you can become a slave to the tech and miss out on all the sights and sounds of your ride.

I agree with others above in that, if you can ride 50 miles, you can ride 100. Just don't go off too fast. And have fun.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In terms of satnav, I do have one but I only use it if I'm going somewhere I've not been before, preferring a traditional wireless computer instead. Otherwise you can become a slave to the tech and miss out on all the sights and sounds of your ride.
My experience is 100% the opposite of that.

I did my first 200 km audax through some glorious countryside in the Yorkshire Dales but had virtually no recollection of it because I was concentrating really hard on the route sheet and computer to avoid getting lost.

I bought a GPS for my next 200, and spent the whole ride enjoying the sights and sounds of the countryside while the device took care of the navigation!

Apart from the bike itself, the Garmin was one of my best cycling purchases. I use it as a bike computer even if I know the route.

rb58

Enigma
My experience is 100% the opposite of that.

I did my first 200 km audax through some glorious countryside in the Yorkshire Dales but had virtually no recollection of it because I was concentrating really hard on the route sheet and computer to avoid getting lost.

I bought a GPS for my next 200, and spent the whole ride enjoying the sights and sounds of the countryside while the device took care of the navigation!

Apart from the bike itself, the Garmin was one of my best cycling purchases. I use it as a bike computer even if I know the route.
Aha! But that's my point, you were riding a route you didn't know, and in those circumstances I would have used the ETrex. Over the years I have cycled, I have ridden pretty much all the routes round here and so don't usually need a satnav. [unless it is an Audax with set check points of course]

Top Bottom