first 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Im being persuaded to join a group of like minded cyclists for some runs. They usually cover about 100mile. Im only used to doing about 24 mile a day on the commute and have no experience of this kind of long distance run.

Can you give me an idea of what to take? It sounds like a long way to me and left to my own devices i would probably end up taking a suitcase wih a weeks worth of gear in it.

So what do i need in terms of:

Food
drink
clothing
tools
money
map in case i get left behind and lost??

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can't help with what you need - other than phone? if you get separated?

But I'm interested in how hard is it to make that sort of leap in milage? or do you need to do a couple of in-between distances (as someone myself who can cycle 20 miles but feels tired but would like to do some of these one day rides).

if you're going on a stripped down road bike then you're limited to what to take.i use a rack pack.
for clothing i just take a waterproof and sometimes a thin top.

for tools i take a alien multi tool and a couple of tyre levers as the tool has the chain splitter and spoke key on it.i take a spare folding tyre and two inner tubes, and a couple of cable ties.

for drinks i take a couple of bottles of water or blackcurrant cordial as i can't stand the energy drinks.

food wise i used to take mini mars bars and start eating them after about 40 or 50 minutes, probably every 30 minutes, now i take marmalade butties which get eaten somewhere around the 50 mile mark, any other food i need i can get from a shop i leave a mars bar in teh bag for any emergencies.. my son is building up to his first 100 in may and we're up to about 70 miles now, he takes an assortment of his favourite snacks in his rack pack, far more than he needs but it's there for emergencies.

money wise it's whatever i have left!
if you have someone with a car who can collect you then you could leave out the tyre, but we don't so it's there to get us home.

if you can then i would advise getting some longer rides in, if you commute every day then it should give you a good fitness level but you may struggle over the distance ,especially if you ride it at someone elses pace.
my son started riding in januray mainly to ride our clubs 50 mile ride , he did that off a few 30 mile rides and 3 50's.he then decided he wanted the grand slam which is a 100, 150 and 200 so he now rides a 40-50 mile and a longer ride at a steadier pace ,this weekend it will be a hilly 70, next weekend possibly an 80, but he's got enough time to build to the 100 in may and then continue to build up his mileage and speed for the 2 longer rides.
i've been riding 100's for years and know what it feels like when your legs fall off at 80 miles! so feel preparation is the key to an enjoyable ride.
good luck!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I would also recommend taking a map, not only so you can be 'involved' in where you're going, but also so you can 'peel off' and make your own way home if needs be.

This might include completing the same route but slightly slower. The worse thing is trying to stick with a group that is obviously far too fast. Learning good group riding skills (safe drafting) can help, but if they're way too fast, let them go, and then try again on aother occaision. You will quickly be up with them.

Tynan

Veteran
excellent thread, I'm in long range preparation for the Dunwich Dynamo and was pondering exactly this

why marmalade? I like it on my toast in the morning but that's about it

I have pannier(s) but was pondering exactly what was worth bringing and what not, 120 miles is a long way to hump stuff

watching this with interest, folding tyre, wow, what's the chances of shagging a tyre, never happened to me in a million (ish) mikes of riding the mean streets of London

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
100 miles can be anything from a long summer's day out requiring nothing more than a couple of inners, a pump, a couple of bottles and some cash, through to a quite challenging ordeal in January fighting a range of weather conditions and short days. (Just look how few people manage to do the 'century a month ride' during the depths of winter: ASC1951 always does well, but he has a hump like a camel to keep him going).

So your preparation needs to fit the ride in question. But generally, (as a rule, all things considered, in a guideline type way), panniers are probably going to encourage you to take too much stuff. Your back pockets will frequently be sufficient and I can't imagine when anything more than a rack top pack or saddlebag wouldn't be enough.

Spare tyre ? I think you're confusing a 100 mile ride with a year long ride down Africa.

Tynan

Veteran
makes sense

panniers sure are a horrid temptatation, I weigh up everything I pack every day (evening classes really complicates things, books, folders, clothes to wear there) otherwise it slowly builds up

I read one of the Dynamo blogs where the bloke took a blanket with him for the other end

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I probably wouldn't go with choc's or anything with simple carbs - better off with cerial bars, banana's, energy drink (plus maybe a few refils - you'll pass a few shops)

Tools - tubes, puncture kit, multi-tool, phone.... don't need much really. Oh and maybe a nice cafe stop !

The answer is - less than you think. Plenty of food, but on a century you can always stock up from shops, garages etc. Dextrosol glucose tablets are handy, have one every half-3/4 an hour.

Tynan - for the Dynamo the only difference is that I'd pack a warm fleece (or space blanket) because you might have a long wait before you get off the beach. Oh and a towel if you're going in for a dip. :tongue:

Don't fret too much about kit, with a century ride, especially your first, the mental side is more of an issue. I find that, in the absence of company, an MP3 player or radio will do a lot to stop you from watching the miles creep round on your computer.

Christopher

Über Member
ola
All good advice. I'd add:

- Stop as often as you like but try to limit them to 10-15 minutes max as otherwise you'll find it very hard to get going again, especially if you go into a warm cafe on a cold day. Club runs often have long lunch stops IME which is why I usually ride 100s alone

- Don't drink any alcohol during the ride and don't drink to excess the night before;

- Try not to eat meat, especially red meat, during the ride (too hard to digest)

- You might try carbo-loading the night before: eat as much fresh pasta as you can. It works for me and I eat about 200g of it (far more than I want and as much as I can eat without being sick!)

- Energy foods is a bit of a personal thing. I use a mix of sandwiches, fig rolls, biscuits and even jelly (in those dense rectangles you buy them in at the supermarket). I often have a gel pack if there's a big hill after 60 miles or for when I need a burst of energy

- You might consider taking a small amount of chamois cream for re-application as needed - I use a small shampoo container that holds just about enough. However applying it discreetly can be a problem

- Buy water as needed, often at filling stations. I need 3-7 litres for a 100 miler, depending on the heat and the hilliness. Means a lot of wee stops too, unfortunately

good luck - let us know how you get on. Try to stick with the group as that distance is much easier in a group and you won't spend ages navigating either!

domtyler

Über Member
Stick with isotonic drinks as they do not make you want to pee all the time. Once I get going I prefer not to take any breaks but I guess that is down to personal preference.

Tynan said:
excellent thread, I'm in long range preparation for the Dunwich Dynamo and was pondering exactly this

why marmalade? I like it on my toast in the morning but that's about it

I have pannier(s) but was pondering exactly what was worth bringing and what not, 120 miles is a long way to hump stuff

watching this with interest, folding tyre, wow, what's the chances of shagging a tyre, never happened to me in a million (ish) mikes of riding the mean streets of London

i take marmalade because i like it , simple as that really.the tyre may be overkill but i've wrecked two and so have used it twice. we have no car backup and train stations are few and far between.i'm on fixed most of the time and probably could stuff the tyre with something but wouldn't be too confident going downhill!xx(
i'd agree with frustruck regarding eating well the day before-my son learnt that lesson quite quickly!

Tynan

Veteran
ta, thought the marmalde might be some magic ingredient, so jam or honey or something like that is as good?

fixie is harder on tyres I presume?

Tynan said:
ta, thought the marmalde might be some magic ingredient, so jam or honey or something like that is as good?

fixie is harder on tyres I presume?

probably ,i tried jam but didn't like it much and found honey soaked into the bread too much. it's a case of finding the foods that suit you.some swear by the energy drinks but they upset my stomach.

probably not harder on tyres but the thought of one shredding or blowing out from an existing cut at 200 rpm is a bit frightening.

Top Bottom