First 15 Miler and In The Rain - Some QUESTIONS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G2EWS

Hi All,

Just back off my first 15 miler on road on the mountain bike and first time in the rain. I really did enjoy it.

After my stupidity last week, I took it easy, kept an eye on my time but only pushed it a little bit over the last mile or two. Very pleased.

But my questions are:
1. When does a waterproof, become not waterproof?
I have a brand new first worn jacket from Wiggle:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-minima-s-waterproof-jacket/
I felt cold bits by my elbows and on my chest. When I took it off, I found I had spots of wet which had nothing to do with sweating. Surely this is wrong or am I asking too much of a £45 jacket whilst riding into the rain?

2. With my Shimano boots and normal socks, my feet got totally soaked. Is this normal or should I have put the overshoes I bought at the same time on?

3. I have read about people getting numb feet, which I have experienced in the dry going to and from work. But this was very bad. I am going to put it down to my feet being totally drenched.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris

rvw

Guru
Hi Chris,

I can't help much on (1) and (2) - my showerproof is exactly that and I don't expect more, and I've only just invested in overshoes so have got used to wet feet. I tend to tell myself that (a) it's only water and (b) skin is fully waterproof.

On the numb feet bit, you may have a circulation problem. It might be worth trying loosening the laces/fastenings on your shoes a bit, in case that helps. Make a point of wiggling your toes whenever you remember. Cold (and wet feet will be much colder than dry) would make that worse, which fits with what you say.

If it happens often, you might have something called Raynaud's Disease - which is where the small blood vessels go into spasm and cut off the circulation temporarily. (This is quite easy to see if it affects your hands - as it does for me - but less so for feet: the last thing you want to do, after all, is take off your shoes and socks in the middle of a ride, in the rain, to see if your toes are white rather than pink...) Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about this apart from trying to keep your feet warmer and wiggle your toes to keep the circulation going as much as possible. And of course thicker socks mean more compression in your shoes , so it needs a bit of trial and error to see what works for you.

Anyway, keep enjoying the cycling!

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

Thanks for your comments rvw,

Just put the Crudcatcher's on I bought recently. Reckon they will be of use as well.

Regards

Chris

Phill057

Personally speaking on the coat issue I have rarely questioned weather the coat is or isn't water proof. As you say yourself you were sweating it is pointless having anything too water proof. Yes keep the worst of you but you are going to be damp no matter what you do. If you are serious about keeping reasonably dry you should be looking at Gore Tex or Gore Tex type product the way it works is that it lets out water vapor but prevents water getting in. Unless it has this in its make up you cannot be guaranteed of a water proof. But be careful what you wear under it. Nylon or wool or any of the tight tops will work well. The same with shoe if you want them water proof the need to made from the gore Tex product and again wear the correct sock. But personally speaking all this is academic as I always seat and when going to work on bike and using the long run. I will shower before I leave and use baby wipes to wipe down after so there is no trace of sweat and a good deorderant after and clean clothes that I take with me. There are no shower facilities just yet at work.

Top Bottom