First 25 miles using my new Schwalbe City Jets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helly79

wow I am so happy with these tyres, it was really amazing feel. I can't believe how different my bike handles. I purchased these on Monday and they were delivery and fitted on Tuesday. I cycled to and from work using them but today I did 25 miles. It was really smooth and I didn't have to work as hard as i have done on my Nobbly tyres. My hubby would like some on his bike now :smile: as I kept over taking him by freewheeling past ROFL.

It was a great ride we didn't have any maps just keep cycling and going down roads which looked interesting even went past some pheasants in a field that sounded like they were beat boxing :biggrin:. You see so much more while cycling it great :smile:

g0kmt

I don't have Schwalbe City Jets but have just fitted Continental Double Fighter IIs on mine. I went for a quick ride on it today. I was amazed at how these compared with the nobblies I had from new. I saw an immediate effect, the bike was so quiet and it felt quicker. I got onto the small ring quicker, brilliant!

Norm

*phew* I'm glad that you like them, Helly. :biggrin:

I was out on my old hack with them today, I did 13 miles along the river and must have overtaken 18-20 other bikes. Quite surprising as I'm somewhat of a slowbie usually, I think at least some of it was because the slicks worked well on the hard-packed mud.

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

Norm said:
*phew* I'm glad that you like them, Helly. :biggrin:

I was out on my old hack with them today, I did 13 miles along the river and must have overtaken 18-20 other bikes. Quite surprising as I'm somewhat of a slowbie usually, I think at least some of it was because the slicks worked well on the hard-packed mud.

it a nice feeling when you past other cyclists on yourbike Thanks again for your advice Norm :smile:

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

:biggrin:
Steve H said:
Hi Helly - I ordered a set of these tyres yesterday following some advice off the forums. Looking forward to receiving, fitting and riding!

I am sure you see the different :biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
I changed my MTB from its original knobblies to Kenda K West slicks about a month after I got it. Apart from a period last winter they've stayed on. The speed improvement was 10%.

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

Davidc said:
I changed my MTB from its original knobblies to Kenda K West slicks about a month after I got it. Apart from a period last winter they've stayed on. The speed improvement was 10%.

it normal takes me 30min to get to work on my nobble tyres but with the city jets took me 26min. I see you changed your tyres through the winter, do you have a spare pair of wheels or do you just change the tyres. I am thinking about buying some more wheels to keep my nobble tyres on but not sure if it would be worth it.

Norm

Helly79 said:
it normal takes me 30min to get to work on my nobble tyres but with the city jets took me 26min. I see you changed your tyres through the winter, do you have a spare pair of wheels or do you just change the tyres. I am thinking about buying some more wheels to keep my nobble tyres on but not sure if it would be worth it.

As someone said earlier on a different thread (I think it was cyberknight), changing tyres gets faster. I think that he said 10 minutes per wheel, but I think I'm down to about 10 minutes for the pair with practice.

I looked at new wheels but, by the time you've got everything on them, you are looking at a couple of hundred quid for a fairly basic pair and I'll change a lot of tyres for that sort of money. :sad:

+1 with the 10% time saving as well. A regular run of mine (only 6.5 miles) dropped by over 2 minutes.

Davidc

Guru
Helly79 said:
I see you changed your tyres through the winter, do you have a spare pair of wheels or do you just change the tyres.

I only change them if it gets really slushy and icy, when the knobbles do dig in as they're designed to do in squidgy mud and help stop sideways slipping.

I just change the tyres. It takes about 20 minutes for the two, and another 20 to remember how to adjust the circumference on the bike computer (the most obscure and hidden part of the menus!).

I know changing tyres worries people, but I've found that the only time tyres are difficult is when they're new. Once they've been fitted and have done a couple of hundred miles they go on and off reasonably easily. The electric pump helps.

Norm

One of the ways that changing tyres gives benefit is that narrower tyres are lighter and (to a point) have lower rolling resistance. If you wanted to keep the tyre width, then you would be missing some of the potential benefits.

So, responding with another question, why do you want to get them in 26x2.3 anyway?

alci4

Norm said:
One of the ways that changing tyres gives benefit is that narrower tyres are lighter and (to a point) have lower rolling resistance. If you wanted to keep the tyre width, then you would be missing some of the potential benefits.

So, responding with another question, why do you want to get them in 26x2.3 anyway?
that is the size of the tyre on the bike i am buying

dont know if i have to stick to that size?

like i say total noob

dont wanna buy 2 tyres just to find out they dont fit

Top Bottom